General discussion

Trouble Changing OS's

I have an HP Pavilion a1210n running XP. A while back I added a second hard drive so I could put different OS's on it to study for college. I was hoping to dual boot. The first OS that I put on the second drive was Vista and everything was fine for a while until it came time to put something else on my second drive. I figured to put a new OS on the drive I needed to delete the partitions on the second drive, repartition it, and install the new OS. I had Ubuntu (not sure which version) on there and the second drive currently has Windows Server 2000 installed.

The problem I'm having is that whenever I boot I get a screen that allows me to either boot into Vista or an earlier version of Windows. I always have to select the earlier version of Windows option otherwise it tries to boot into Vista after about 10 seconds. When it boot into Vista it says "Windows failed to start. Recent hardware or software changes may be the cause." It then instructs me to use the recovery disk to repair it and gives me this info:
File:\Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I would like to be able to dual boot without all this Vista nonsense. Server 2000 is on my second drive now and I believe I will be putting a version on Linux on there again soon.

Also of note, ever since I deleted Vista on the second drive I now have to open my computer and disconnect the hard drive that came with the computer (leaving the second drive plugged in) to boot into my second OS. It's a pain.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Trouble Changing OS's
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trouble Changing OS's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a wild guess

as I'm may not be picturing this correctly. It sounds as if Vista isn't even on either drive now. If so you may just have a problem with the boot.ini file on the XP drive. See if it has a line still referencing Vista. If so, remove that line.

- Collapse -
What you failed to do

What you failed to do, was take into account the boot loader in all of this.

Since your studies include using Linux and Win 2000 Server, I trust you'll be capable of researching this and figuring it out on your own. If you can't figure it out with that bit of direction, then you may wish to consider an alternate field of study.

CNET Forums