Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

trouble acessing 2 hard drives but both for different reason

by drpcdr.ca / May 3, 2006 12:18 AM PDT

Hi,

I recently had a motherboard die on me. I used a empty HD to install a fresh copy of windows xp professional with a new motherboard. All worked fine until i tired to acess old harddrives.

Firstly i cannot acess my old xp pro install when the HD is in an usb external case. When i attempt to get to ''My documents'' i get an acess denied error. Secondly i am using a differnt motherboard which informs me when i try boot the old disk it is not configured properly and cannot boot. Is there any way around this problem?

My other HD has no install it was just for data. I believe it may be formatted strangely because sometimes (whether in a computer or external usb case) I get told it is in an unregonisbale format or is not formatted but i know this is not the case as i have acessed its 250 gig plus of data often. Simply some times it works others it dont. It could be formatted in any way but why would it work sometimes and not others? Any help here would also be greatly appreciated.

Asus A8V E SE (new MB)
Asus A8N SLI duluxe (dead MB)
300 gig ide
200 gig ide (old install)
250 gig sata (new install)
amd 3800+ duel
2 gig of ram
audigy sound card
Fusion tv card

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trouble acessing 2 hard drives but both for different reason
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trouble acessing 2 hard drives but both for different reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good news. It's a common problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 12:33 AM PDT

Type...

XP TAKE OWNERSHIP

Into google.com and pick the solution that makes sense to you.

Bob

Collapse -
Thankyou big time it worked like a charm :)
by drpcdr.ca / May 4, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks Bob your answer worked like a treat. You have saved all my precious photos and lecture notes. Thanks again buddy im glad to see there are plenty of helpful people left out there.

Adam

Collapse -
When you
by Themisive / May 3, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

Log on, do you get a choice of logon passwords at the startup screen?

If so, try using your old password, you should be able to logon to the My Documents there - if you can then make a backup of those files.

Your best bet is to either do that or try to use the hidden administrator's logon in Safe Mode, either way shoud help.

However, there MAY be another way, can you see the files when you're in Windows Explorer? If you can it may be that you could copy and paste them to another location that you can access.

Also, look in Control Panel/User Accounts and look to see if you have Adminstrator rights on this account, if not change it, you should be able to use the hidden files now.

I would be inclined to try to access all these accounts, back them up to a location you KNOW is safe then write them all to a DVD-R, put it in a safe place.

This next is a last resort, but it seems you've already got there.

Now do a complete reformat of all your drives, especially the O/S, but you will need ALL your programme disks as well, as they will have to be re-loaded, and don't forget to load the anti-virus and spyware/malware detection systems before logging onto the 'net again.

Once there, update all the detection systems FIRST then get to work on updates for the O/S, you'll get a load of updates for that before SP2, before loading SP2, disconnect from the 'net run a full anti-virus scan then go into Safe Mode and run full scans for Ewido deleting all it finds (if you don't have it, you can get it from www.ewido.net/en before you log off the 'net), do the same for Spybot S & D and Ad-aware - remember all these programmes are free - then reboot to normal mode, log on to the 'net and load SP2 then all the rest of the updates.

Load on the data you backed up, including all the e-mails you have; you should be in business again.

Collapse -
Thanks buddy
by drpcdr.ca / May 4, 2006 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: When you

Hi,

Yeps turns out all i had to do was mess a little with the admin rights like you said. I just used the security tab in the properties that is hidden until some settings are changed thats Bob's post lead me too.

As for my other drive that often wont read due to some elusive formatting problem i guess i'll just keep trying with other computers till it works again.

But yeah just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Adam

Collapse -
Unreadable H/D
by billzhills / May 4, 2006 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks buddy

When a drive will not read due to formating issues I use Kill Disk. The application writes ones & zeros to the drive destroying all data including partition table and Master Boot Record.

Or

Partition Revovery if you have data on the drive.

Luck

Bill

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip
by drpcdr.ca / May 5, 2006 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Unreadable H/D

Hi,

I downloaded Partition Revovery straight away. i shall report back with my results asap. Thanks

Adam

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!