Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Trouble accesing my email from work

by mmiriam / November 22, 2005 5:06 PM PST

Hello Guys,

i have this problem. Where i work they have banned gmail so i do not have access to my email. what can i do with that?
I tried to create a new email account in the outlook we use here but still it does not work.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

mm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trouble accesing my email from work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trouble accesing my email from work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This means
by PudgyOne / November 22, 2005 5:37 PM PST

This means that your company doesn't want you to read your emails from your home accounts. The reason that they do this is because reading emails from an outside source can cause viruses and spyware to come into their network, causing alot of problems. Work emails should remain just for work and work only. Do you realize that the company has to keep a copy of all your emails on their server. Yes, they have a copy somewhere. Sending emails using their email accounts and their server can be a cause for dismissal. Remember, it's their network and accounts and they can control it anyway they see fit.

Keep the home email accounts for home. I'm sure that you can wait until you get home to read those funny jokes and be able to unwind from the boring day at the office.

In closing, I'm going to give you something to think about,

Would you want your employees using your computer and email accounts to send items that could cause a virus and/or spyware to become infested in your network?

Would you want your employees to be goofing off reading and sending emails when the are suppose to be working?

Think really hard about this.

Rick K

Collapse -
Thank you!!
by mmiriam / November 22, 2005 6:05 PM PST
In reply to: This means

Well thank you for the thoughts but that is not exactly the idea.
Are not all our emails jakes in our private accounts.
And i think that most of us are big boys/girls to judge wheather they should read their emails or not.
Do not you think so???
I know all about backups etc.
As an employer i wouldnt mind if my employes were looking only there emails.

Thanks a lot for your time.
Byeee

Collapse -
No help here it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 9:44 PM PST

Most if not all the helpers here agree to honor workplace bans. Can you imagine the pain an employer would give me if I supplied workarounds to their bans?

-> Here's the fix. Ask your IT staff to allow access for you.

There is the proper way to do this.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Just so you know the policy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: No help here it seems.

The Forum policies state this:
"asking for information regarding software piracy or unauthorized emulators of software or hardware, sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. Please refrain from posting this kind of message."

If you read this, your workplace banned the access and the rules here also guide us to not help anyone break such bans.

Hope your IT lets you get your access back.

Bob

Collapse -
I got the message!!!
by mmiriam / November 23, 2005 6:24 AM PST

Thank you all!!!!
But fyi i am such but person to full up my pc at work with viruses and if you were living in another country and your only way to contact your family was via internet i would like to be in a corner and see how you would react when your employ cought your access.

Well i dont care about solving this problem because i have access from my IT already, because as a woman i know all good ways to get what i want.

Cheers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.