Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

trojan virus

AVG picked up C:\Windows\uninstlU.exe as a dropper agent. I sent it to the virus vault. Does anyone know what this would do to your computer? I run Windows 98. Also, I get confused with AVG, once it finds a virus it seems the only choice you have is to move it to the virus vault or delete it. Is that correct? Thanks for your help. If it goes to the virus vault, is it cured and safe to run the computer or do you have to delete it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trojan virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trojan virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi mbeck5

In reply to: trojan virus

There have been a couple of false positives lately so don't delete anything yet. You have a location there but did they give you a specific name for the dropper? Also, you do have the very latest definitions? There were 2 updates already today, one was just a few minutes ago.

Collapse -
trojan

In reply to: Hi mbeck5

Thanks for the response. I update AVG automatically and it did add some files today. There was no other designation for the virus, just said Trojan in one area and dropper agent in another and the full file name was C:\Windows\uninstlU.exe with a capital U. Hope this helps and thanks again

Collapse -
I'm only getting

In reply to: trojan

ONE hit on that on Google and it involved a HijackThis log but we don't do those here. I don't want to tell you to delete it unless we are sure it's not a false positive. There was no name of the trojan itself or dropper agent other than the location itself? For example, something like "Dropper.Agent.8.B"? Also, was the scan before or after you downloaded the new defs?

Collapse -
cant it be

In reply to: I'm only getting

run through jotti's? http://virusscan.jotti.org/
you know, since it uses more then one scanner to check to see if indeed is infected, possibly under TROJ_HIJACK.B Filename: C:\WINDOWS\uninstlU.exe

Collapse -
actually

Collapse -
as a matter of general interest

if AVG moves a virus to it's virus vault, it is safe to go there and delete it.

I have used AVG for over 5 years, first free and now paid.

While it has given the odd false positive no file I have ever moved to the virus vault and subsequently deleted, has affected the functionality of my PC.

Collapse -
That is not ALWAYS the case

In reply to: as a matter of general interest

with false positives David. There were a couple in the last couple of days with AVG and people deleted files and their forum was flooded with people because of it. They corrected it quickly and although what you say may be true MOST of the time, it is not ALL of the time so sometimes it is better to be cautious.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.