Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

trojan horse "It About You"

by nancy_kr / June 12, 2005 11:48 AM PDT

As near as I can tell this Trojan horse was responsible for the nonsense I had to eradicate by doing a Restore To Earlier Date.
I had this crazy little window showing "Motive Smart Bridge Auto-update" running in circles doing a false download - first in a center window then in one in the upper left corner.
The Norton 2005 seems to have finally knocked it out but I was disappointed in the difficulty and inconsistency in the virus scan system. Also I have found no information on it online so far.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trojan horse "It About You"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trojan horse "It About You"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
for starters it's a Trojan
by dawillie / June 12, 2005 12:29 PM PDT

so the cleansing process is more complex.

should this recur, please note how it is identified including the path/ folder it is detected in and post here.

one of us will help you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is NOT a trojan ! is Verizon "stuff"
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 15, 2005 3:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Motive Smart Bridge Auto-update"
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 12, 2005 3:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
motive smart bridge foul-up
by nancy_kr / June 15, 2005 2:19 PM PDT

Yes, it seems this program has something to do with Verizon DSL, which I use. I am not sure if it was a virus' effect I experienced or a bad program.
I have been troubled by Verizon's program taking off to check for updates & needlessly autoloading at bootup and slowing the boot. I talked to V's customer support about this the other day and ended up just getting furious at the foreign idiot at the other end...a computer would have been more conversant!
Finally, today I uninstalled Verizon's ''help center'' bs program but the stupid auto-try to logon program still runs... At least its not that crazy Motive Smartbridge dance.
Will study the issue further with a little help from my friends.

Collapse -
Nancy
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 15, 2005 3:02 PM PDT

Did you read the first link??

there are 2 locations. One is the typical start menu folder; the other is in the registry. There?s an easy way to access it: go to start -> run -> type ?msconfig? (without the quotes) and click ok. click the Startup tab. Everything checked in that list starts up when your comoputer does. I uncheck everything I don?t need. I think Motive is in here.

When you save and restart after this, you might get a notice that Windows is in ?selective startup? mode. That?s fine; my system is always on that mode without problems. I would check the box so it doesn?t notify you again. Then, don?t worry about it.

http://www.intelliot.com/blog/archives/2004/06/05/motive-smartbridge/

Collapse -
thank you
by nancy_kr / June 17, 2005 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Nancy

will go with this for now. I have done this before with other problems. but I still think you shouldn't have to do these things to get your computer where you need it to be.
I don't like all those cryptic files and not knowing what they mean. And I don't like the idea a somebody you paid hijacking your system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.