Computer Help forum

General discussion

Trojan Damage

by moemontreal / February 1, 2009 7:24 AM PST

i got a Trojan/virus on my computer last night and i scanned and fixed the problem with 2 softwares, super antispyware & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware plus i did a last scan with Hijack this and i uploaded the log file to the site then i checked all the X marked items on Hijack this and clicked (Fixed IT) and the problem was gone.

Today i open my computer and the Trojan is there again in my system and i tried to make a system restore but when i clicked on System Restore it gives me an ERROR that System Restore Can't be Found Plus i can't go on the Internet (I'm on my other computer right now)

How do i get system restore back and why is my internet is not working?

Did i delete a system file by mistake? how can i restore my PC now?

Thanks in advance

please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trojan Damage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trojan Damage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My System ifo:
by moemontreal / February 1, 2009 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: Trojan Damage

My System ifo:

PC: Dell dell optiplex GX280
windows XP V. 2002
Service pack 3

Collapse -
"i checked all the X marked items on Hijack this"
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 1:59 PM PST

...and clicked (Fixed IT)...Well, that's not a good thing.. HijackThis is a powerful tool that detects both good and bad items that are running.. Selecting ALL items listed and eliminating them could easily cause your issue.. When using HJT, it's always a good idea to get assistance from the expert helpers at the various HJT this forums on the internet.. We DO NOT interpret HJT logs here..

At this point, because the Trojan has re-occurred, plus the problem mentioned above, your best option for correcting your system is to format and reinstall everything back to it's original state.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank for the reply but..
by moemontreal / February 4, 2009 3:54 AM PST

I cant boot from my windows xp CD.
I cant get it my Bios setup menu or into my Boot setup because i see that the computer boots from the C drive, i want to change that but it wont let me in.

I need to boot from CD so I can fix this problem. Since I only have a USB keyboard, during boot the keyboard does not work because USB drivers are loaded from Windows. I need to be able to hit F12 so I can change the boot sequence.

Please note that the DELL GX280 only has USB there is not PS2 or anything els only USB

please help.

Thanks

Collapse -
The BIOS Setup Is The F2 Key
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 5:55 AM PST

Have you tried pressing the F2 key during startup and does it take you to the BIOS settings.

Although the F12 key does appear to be the boot menu access key, you may be able to access the boot order from the BIOS..

Just a thought.. Have you tried swapping in a different known good keyboard? It may be a problem with your keyboard or maybe even the USB port where you have it plugged in.. Try switching USB ports and make sure it's a port on the BACK of the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Keyboard is fine
by moemontreal / February 4, 2009 8:55 AM PST

Thanks for the reply Grif,

but my keboard works fine and its pluged on the back of computer,
i press F2 to boot as soon as the pc lights up and i keep pressing it all the time but somehow it takes me to the start in save mode screen not the bios settings My bios Version is: A04 if it helps!

is there anyother way that i can boot up this PC or even to fix it.

Collapse -
(NT) So You've Tried Another Keyboard..?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Keyboard is fine
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 9:25 AM PST

Do you have the DELL USB KEYBOARD for this model?

I found out the hard way (first hand) that we have to keep a few on hand for such calls.
Bob

Collapse -
Dell Keyboard
by moemontreal / February 4, 2009 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Just checking.

No i dont have the dell keyboard anymore Sad
i have a logitech one i lost the original one.

So what to do now?

Collapse -
Try other USB keyboards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: Dell Keyboard

I found that on a few Dells with USB only (legacy free models) that I couldn't get into the BIOS!

Collapse -
What now?
by moemontreal / February 4, 2009 9:59 AM PST

So what i do now is there any way to get around this?
or is there anything i can do?

or i have to buy a new dell keyboard?

Collapse -
Why "new"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: What now?
Collapse -
Last Question
by moemontreal / February 4, 2009 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: Why "new"?

so It has to be a DELL keyboard for this model? or any DELL Keyboard.

Thank you so much for the help i know im asking too many questions but im going crazy its been 3days.

Collapse -
Just a Dell of the same 'vintage'
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Last Question

As far as I know, any Dell within a few years worked fine.

I read above and can't be entirely sure if you are pressing the right keys but jumped in with an issue I know about. If you are not pressing the right keys at the right time, the right keyboard won't help but it is an issue and worth knowing about.

Have some one else try it too.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by moemontreal / February 4, 2009 10:29 AM PST

ok perfect, thanks bob and all the ppl that helped

THANKS ALL i will keep u guys updated

Moe.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.