Computer Help forum

General discussion

trog??? horse virus win32

by tbone9101 / October 18, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

this trog??? horse (i cannot spell) win32 is in and has been in my computer for a long time but i never cared to do anything about it untill now because it is locking me out of anything that has to do with control pannel untill i download it's "virus scanner" so recently i downloaded nod32 and got rid of a lot of older trog???s that all were involved with win32 but i am still locked out of control pannel what should i do

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trog??? horse virus win32
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trog??? horse virus win32
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oh ya
by tbone9101 / October 18, 2007 11:58 AM PDT

i almost forgot that i can do a system restore to gain temporary control of control pannel

Collapse -
reply to: oh ya.......
by caktus / October 18, 2007 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: oh ya

What Operating System are you using?

What is the name of the trojan. Are you getting any error messages? If so, what are the exact error messages. After removing viruses, spyware, trojans, etc. it is a good Idea to delete all System restore points and other System backups that may be infected to prevent the problem from being restored. To delete the SR points right click on My Computer > left click on Properties > System Restore tab > place a checkmark beside "Turn off system restore on all drives > Apply > remove the checkmark > Apply > OK.

Charlie

Collapse -
ok
by tbone9101 / October 25, 2007 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: reply to: oh ya.......

sorry for replying so late i have been busy for the last week and havent messed with the computer lets see first is windows XP, second the only name i got on every single one of the programs removed in volved win32 and i occasionaly do more recent scanns and it still shows no new programs, well it is a security alert that says:
"Warning! Potential Spyware Operation!
Your computer is makingt unauthorized copies of your system and Internet files. Run full scan now to pervent any unauthorised access to your files! click here to download spyware remover..."
it then has a "yes" and "no" button

that message pops up twice and stops untill i push the no button and they always pop up every time i turn on the stupid computer and i want a response before i accualy delete any system restore points so i can at least gain temporary control of control pannel which i did have control of last week but not right this second

Collapse -
Sounds Like A Rogue Antispyware Program..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2007 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

..that was installed during some unsafe surfing.. Try this:

First, download these two free programs to your computer from the links I provide below::

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

SmitFraudFix.exe (Read the instructions for use at the link as well.)
http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

Once both are on your desktop, then install the SuperAntispyware tool,then update it from the internet.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into Safe Mode and run the SmitFraudFix tool by double clicking on it.. Restart the computer into Normal Windows, then immediately restart it into Safe Mode again. While in Safe Mode, run a full system scan using SuperAntispyware and delete all that it finds.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tested removal process for Fake Alert, FakeAVAlert, et al.
by Nussbash / November 11, 2007 3:06 AM PST

You know this hazard is resident on a computer if it periodically displays a pop-up dialog asking the user to download software that will "pervent [sic] unauthorised [sic]" access.

Please note Norton 2007 does not detect, much less remove or eliminate vulnerability to, this hazard. The hazard is known by Trojan.net -AVP/AVT to Super AntiSpyware, fakeavalert to Symantec, and Fake Alert -D to McAfee.

1: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=268483&messageID=2609956
2: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18273

1 Acquire Super AntiSpyware at http://www.superantispyware.com/.
2 Acquire http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php and unzip.
3 Acquire http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/subs/beta//ComboFix.exe.
4 Determine how to move both to the desktop of the workstation under attack - if you did not use the victim workstation for downloading (LAN, optical media, pcAnywhere, etc. Used PCAW in this situation).
5 Install Super AntiSpyware, and check for updates. Use the default settings for installation. An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
6 Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
7 Click the Scanning Control tab and clear all Scanner Options.
8 Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
9 Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
10 Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
11 On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
12 On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
13 Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
14 After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK". In this case, Super AntiSpyware did not detect any harmful items.
15 Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
16 A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
17 If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

18 Restart the computer in safe mode.
19 Run SmitFraudFix by double-clicking smitfraudfix.cmd.
20 Select 1 and hit Enter to create a report of the infected files, which the program writes to C:\rapport.txt.
21 Restart the computer in normal mode.
22 Restart the computer in safe mode.
23 Run a full system scan with Super AntiSpyware and allow it to remove all suspicious items by pressing Next. The duration of this scan was 1:52:47 and 52,873 items were scanned.
24 Close Super AntiSpyware and do not allow it to restart the computer.
24 Double click on combo.exe. Press 1 to initiate program operation. The program will restart the computer.
25 Upon restart into normal mode, ComboFix resumes operation.
26 Process is complete when ComboFix completes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?