Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Trj/Reboot.F Virus blocking my McAfee Download

I have had a lot of computer problems lately and had to reinstall Windows ME. After reinstalling I went to McAfee.com where I have a subscription to download and re-install McAfee due to a prompt I received. I cannot get any downloads to take place. It acts as if it is going to download but then the computer freezes and is non-responsive. I verified the virus Trj/Reboot.F using PC Pitstop's free scan but they don't offer a way to disinfect it! The virus is located in C\HP\BIN\Rebooter.exe I still have the virus and no way to remove it because my McAfee doesn't work now. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trj/Reboot.F Virus blocking my McAfee Download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trj/Reboot.F Virus blocking my McAfee Download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Trj/Reboot.F Virus blocking my McAfee Download

In reply to: Trj/Reboot.F Virus blocking my McAfee Download

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Trj/Reboot.F Virus blocking my McAfee Download

I attempted the Panda Scan but my computer froze when it began downloading the "active components" to scan. This is the same problem that occurs at McAfee. My computer freezes when I am at the screen: downloading an Active X control to scan my computer. Could I have a setting in Internet Explorer keeping these downloads from occurring or is it the virus effect? Any help would be appreciated!

Collapse -

hmm....... could be the "nasty" you have??

Try downloading and running STINGER :

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

and then afterwards running Panda scan on-line again.

I could only find info that Panda can clean that particular one.

Collapse -

Thanks so much for your input Marianna. I now have manually installed the Active x from McAfee and was able to update and get things running. Here's the interesting thing...I scan with McAfee and it doesn't find any viruses. I scan with PCPitstops free Panda Scan and it identifies the virus. I then go to the Panda site you recommended and my computer freezes at the beginning of the virus scan. Similiar to McAfee problem. My concern is that Panda says I have a virus and McAfee doesn't identify it. Also Stinger does not find it as well, but if you look at their virus list this one isn't on it. I am wondering if there is anyway to manually install the Panda active x to get it to run for me? Any help would be appreciated! Happy

Collapse -

I can NOT find anything about a manual download of the Active X - and I do NOT know if it will work IF I would run a Pandascan and send the Active X to you??

But I found some more info:

Could you pls. have a look if you can find:

Virus:Trj/Reboot.F Disinfected C:\HP\bin\Rebooter.exe

It seems that "thing" is in the "Rebooter" !

Sophos has it:

Troj/Rebooter

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojrebooter.html

Unfortunately NO removal instructions - but you could go into SAFEMODE and delete the "rebooter" - then try scanning again with Panda??

Collapse -
Mo, Have You Tried Housecall?

It's another free online scanner that might run. At least it's worth a try. Click on the link below:

Housecall Online Scanner

Stinger won't find that virus/trojan because it's not designed to do so. It only finds a specific set of viruses that are listed at the download site. Likewise, I can't find that trojan mentioned in McAfee's DAT file database and therefore it won't find it either. It will be interesting if Housecall will find it also.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Mo, Have You Tried Housecall?

In reply to: Mo, Have You Tried Housecall?

Well I gave housecall a try...it didn't find this virus either so I am back at square one. I am attempting to get the McAfee folks to resolve the issue since I do pay for their anti virus software.
I am at a loss what to do next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This doesn't seem to be a well known virus.....yet. Help! Happy

Collapse -
Wait till this idea is OK'd by Marianna or Grif..

In reply to: Re: Mo, Have You Tried Housecall?

but perhaps if you tried downloading the scans in safe mode. As I say, it is just an idea but downloading in safemode has worked for me in the past when I have had trouble with freezing.

Cheers

Collapse -
mosnowman .........

In reply to: Wait till this idea is OK'd by Marianna or Grif..

Collapse -
Mosnow, I'm Guessing It's A False Positive By PC Pitstop...

...or at least, it's detecting it more like spyware than a tradition trojan....Doing a check on Google indicates that AVG doesn't find it and neither do any other antivirus checks, EXCEPT for PC Pitstop/Panda. Unfortunately, I can't even find it listed at the Panda Virus Info list. It appears like your McAfee Virus Scan is now working correctly mainly because your computer didn't have scripting and ActiveX running correctly. That appears to have occurred separately from this issue. Maybe this is one of those situations where PCP/Panda have decided this is a file worth detecting and none of the other antivirus companies agree. A link for you to read.

In My file /HP/bin/Rebooter.exe ...anyone heard of this?

The file appears to be in the standard HP/Bin folder for it's stored installations. A strange place for a trojan which requires a different access location. I guess it's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hmmmmmm..... here you can SEE Panda cleaned it !

Trj/Reboot.F
Disinfected
C:\HP\bin\Rebooter.exe

click here

Collapse -
That's The Problem....Only Panda Finds It And Cleans It...

In reply to: Hmmmmmm..... here you can SEE Panda cleaned it !

Whether or not this is a true trojan, I'm not so sure. First, I haven't been able to find the write up about it at Panda, or anywhere else. Second, none of the other antivirus programs finds issues with this particular file.

...PCP Uses Panda...It sure makes me suspicious that this may not be trojan, and at the worst, it's a ad-ware/spyware issue. It doesn't appear to be a major problem with any of the other antivirus companies.

I'm working on a Compaq computer at the moment, and don't have access to any recent HP's but it would be nice to know if others have the "rebooter.exe" file in the "HP/Bin" folder. I'm guessing it's a preinstalled file by HP. My Compaq has an "HP/Bin" folder, but no "rebooter.exe" file.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I have "rebooter.exe" on my winme

is 493 kb application

it "reboots the system" found under properties.

I have NO problems at all with AVG - Trend Micro - the Cleaner Professional Pro.

Well, I could try running a Panda scan and see what I get??

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It Might Be Worth A Try, Just As A Test...

In reply to: I have "rebooter.exe" on my winme

Collapse -
I finished the Panda on-line scan and NO problems

In reply to: (NT) It Might Be Worth A Try, Just As A Test...

here with "rebooter.exe".......

all clean Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Interesting.....

In reply to: I finished the Panda on-line scan and NO problems

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Interesting.....

In reply to: (NT) Interesting.....

Hey folks...thanks so much for spending time trying to resolve this issue! I have pasted my scan suggested by Marianna below. Kaspersky stated: "your clean" This is what the other scan stated:

Service load: 0% 100%

File: Rebooter.exe
Status: MIGHT BE INFECTED/MALWARE (Sandbox emulation took a long time and/or runtime packers were found, this is suspicious. Normally programs aren't packed and don't force the sandbox into lengthy emulation. Do realize no scanner issued any warning, the file can very well be harmless. Caution is advised, however.)
Packers detected: None

AntiVir No viruses found (1.67 seconds taken)
BitDefender No viruses found (3.05 seconds taken)
ClamAV No viruses found (7.69 seconds taken)
Dr.Web No viruses found (6.56 seconds taken)
F-Prot Antivirus No viruses found (0.91 seconds taken)
F-Secure Anti-Virus No viruses found (3.90 seconds taken)
Kaspersky Anti-Virus No viruses found (4.04 seconds taken)
Norman Virus Control No viruses found (21.53 seconds taken)

Collapse -
SUPER - THANKS for your feedback ;)

In reply to: Re: (NT) Interesting.....

Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.