General discussion

Tripping your way to better mental health

Psychedelic trips aid anxiety treatments in study - Yahoo! News
Psilocybin has been shown to invoke powerful spiritual experiences during the four to six hours it affects the brain. A study published in 2008, in fact, found that even 14 months after healthy volunteers had taken a single dose, most said they were still feeling and behaving better because of the experience. They also said the drug had produced one of the five most spiritually significant experiences they'd ever had.

Hallucinogens as anxiety treatment? Sounds weird to me. Also, I'm skeptical of 'spiritual experiences' that don't involve the Spirit of God. Even so the research is interesting.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Tripping your way to better mental health
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Tripping your way to better mental health
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: spiritual experiences

I've always considered that the finding of one's own spiritual nature isn't the end of a journey but the beginning of a new one. Some may consider it to be a discovery of inner power and strength but I believe that the recognition of one's "smallness" comes first and that involving a higher power such as God may become a solution to that recognition. As for "tripping", I must think that ingesting any unnatural substance to gain a sense of spirituality results in more delusion than real solution.

- Collapse -
Bad trips?

I didn't see much mention of bad trips using such drugs.

LSD was notable in the 60's for giving people supposedly good trips, but also notorious for bad tripping. Singer/songwriter Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd was a well know example of drug abuse and it is said that a bad experience with LSD changed him and ultimately finished his career. Whether he would have had a bad trip or not if he wasn't constantly taking drugs will never be known, but there are also examples of first time users having bad experiences.

Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) Not to mention flashbacks
- Collapse -
Frankincense
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankincense

Frankincense was lavishly used in religious rites. In the Book of Exodus in the Old Testament, it was an ingredient for incense (Ex 30:34); according to the book of Matthew 2:11, gold, frankincense, and myrrh were among the gifts to Jesus by the Biblical Magi "from out of the East."

As of May 2008 FASEB Journal announced that Johns Hopkins University and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem have determined that frankincense smoke is a psychoactive drug that relieves depression and anxiety in mice.[7] The researchers found that the chemical compound incensole acetate (see structure here [2]) is responsible for the effects
- Collapse -
LSD

Wasn't LSD used in the 40's and 50's for the same thing?

- Collapse -
(NT) Good point, I believe it was.
- Collapse -
It was first developed to be a truth serum...

....by the CIA. They found that the side effects made it a poor truth serum.

Peyote has been used in South American tribal religious ceremonies for ages because of the belief that it brings the user closer to God. Rastafarians smoke marijuana for the same reason.

- Collapse -
Your wording...

Your wording might cause some people to think that the CIA originally developed LSD. It was developed in Switzerland in 1938. In 1943,Hofmann noticed its effect on the mind. In 1948, Sandoz Laboratories marketed it as a psychiatric treatment for many things, and its use by psychiatrists took off.
The CIA was looking for a truth serum, and after trying many things, tried that. It wasn't. Neither was it the psychiatric cure-all that Sandoz marketed it as being.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the clarification

I actually did have it in my head that it was developed by CIA scientists, though I probably did read the correct history at some time.

Another bit of trivia -- it had not yet been criminalized when the Beatles and others first started using it. It was only outlawed after the subsequent upsurge in demand for the drug.

- Collapse -
(NT) Timothy Leary redux
- Collapse -
Perhaps "there is more in heaven and earth than is dreamt of

in your philosophy, Horatio"

Hamlet

CNET Forums

Forum Info