Cameras forum

General discussion

Tripod for Canon SD630

I'm hoping someone here could suggest a good tripod for me, or at least steer me in the right direction. I will be taking indoor photos of silk floral arrangements ranging from about 12" to 60" high.

Is there a tripod for ultra compact digital cameras that's not a "tabletop" tripod? A tripod that folds very compactly, yet extends to 5 feet and weighs less than 2 lbs.?

I've read pages of tripod specs online but I'm really an amateur, and don't understand some of the terms. I have no idea if I would want a ballhead as adversed to a pan/tilt. What is a 3-way pan/tilt, and what is a quick lock ballhead? I have an Ambico V-0555 tripod that my husband handed down to me when I got my old Mavica MVC-CD200. I now need at tripod that will travel compactly.

I would like the tripod to have a small quick release plate (very small like the size of the one on the gorillapod), but it's not absolutely necessary.

The tripod needn't support over 2 lbs, as the SD630 is the only camera I'll use with it. I think I'd like twist lock legs as they seem take up less space than the flip lever legs when folded. But can twist lock legs be partially extended?

I was looking at the Velbon Ultra MAXi-S, but I was hoping for more height than 48 inches. I wonder why their PH-243 compact ball head has been discontinued. I was also looking at the Sunpak DigiPro Compact B and the Digipro Ballhead, but the heads look so large in the online pics. Sunpack has a Compact Ball Head, but I don't know if I could change the head on a DigiPro. Again, I was looking for more height. The National Geographic Tundra with ballhead and quick release looks good, but has those flip lever legs. Nothing quite seems to fit what I'm envisioning...

Maybe there is no such tripod because it's impractical? Or, maybe I need to buy legs and a separate head? I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

I think I better add here that I'm hoping to spend less than $200.00.

Please forgive this amateur question on a pro forum, but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

I'm sorry if I wrote too much, but I wanted to give as much information as possible. Again, thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tripod for Canon SD630
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tripod for Canon SD630
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found one, if you can handle 2.2 pounds

In reply to: Tripod for Canon SD630

Collapse -
Tripod for SD630

In reply to: Found one, if you can handle 2.2 pounds

Thank you, Snapshot2! I will look at the Velbon Ultra Maxi F right now. I appreciate your reply. ~ Gail

Collapse -
For Snapshot2

In reply to: Found one, if you can handle 2.2 pounds

Snapshot2 ~

I just wanted to tell you that I purchased the Velbon Maxi-F tripod for my SD630 and I'm thrilled with it. This tripod is quite lightweight and folds compactly into its own small carry bag that slips right over my shoulder.

The tripod is sturdy, even fully extended. A strong wind might blow it over, but my photos are taken indoors so it works well for me. I find the myriad of leg positions a tremendous help for difficult angles.

The tilt/pan head shoe is a perfect size for these ultra compact cameras, exactly what I was searching for. I also got the PH-343 ball head and switching heads is easily done. I have yet to decide which head I prefer, but I have the best of both worlds here. All this for less than $130.00.

As an aside, I love the color!

I couldn't ask for more. Again, thank you for your help!

Gail

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback

In reply to: For Snapshot2

Tis good to hear that it suits your needs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.