General discussion

Triple Laptop Screen

Hi, last night I was using my computer, playing guild wars 2. I wasnt actually doing anything graphically intensive at the time.

Suddently the game froze with a wierd visual image and went to a BSOD.

Afterwords on restart, I am experiencing a somewhat triplicate version of my LCD screen. This triplication is present in bios on boot and it is difficult to read.

If I do a standard boot the system crashes when windows attempts to load.

Booting in safe mode does work with the triplicate screen.

I tried reinstalling my graphics card driver in safe mode, but it fails to detect hardware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im not sure if this is a hardware or driver problem.

System Specs:

Dell XPS
Windows 7 64 bit
i7 1.6 ghz
ATI mobility radeon 4570

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Triple Laptop Screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Triple Laptop Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This triplication is present in bios

That points to a hardware issue. There is some hope it's just the LCD (still a hardware issue) and you can test for that by using an external display.

If the BIOS and external still show the triple display, I'd swap out the motherboard.
Bob

- Collapse -
Triple Laptop Screen

Hi ryvitali,

As the triplication is visible in BIOS as well, it seems to be a hardware failure.
You can try to run the LCD Built-in Self-Test:
1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the <D> alphabet key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
2. This will initiate a grey screen, then Red, then Blue, then Green then White, to allow you to inspect the entire LCD. While the colors are displayed, the system beeps every 2 seconds.
3. Please try an external monitor (if available). Press Windows key and <P> key; press the right arrow key to select the display mode as 'Duplicate' and press Enter. For older systems, the combination keys are <Fn> and <F8>; for new systems, try <Fn> and <F1> to get the display on the monitor.
Please let me know the result of the test.

Please send an email to manpreet_chhabra@dell.com with the Service Tag and account information. Please do not share the Service tag in the open forum. I will check the warranty status, system configuration and help you accordingly.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
Triple Laptop Screen

Hi Ryan,

If the laptop is performing normally, try the BIOS update.
Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:

* No external devices (printer, USB drive, SD card, DVD) should be connected.
* All other programs should be closed and documents saved
* The AC adapter and battery should be connected during this process. The battery should be 10% or more than 10% charged.
Click on 'Download File'>> click "Download Now'>> Click 'Continue, Yes' on User Account control if prompted>>Click 'Continue' on the Application prompt>> Click 'OK' on Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to( Make a note of the folder location)>> Click 'Yes' on the next prompt for folder does not exist>> Click "OK' on All files were successfully unzipped. >> If the installation wizard does not appear, go to the folder location>> select the Setup file >> Right-click and select 'Run as Administrator">>Follow the installation wizard instructions. The laptop will reboot after this update.

Once done, update the Video Drivers.
Follow the aforementioned instructions for downloading and installing the drivers. Reboot PC.

Keep the system under observation. Let me know if the issue still persists.

Hope this helps.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

CNET Forums