Computer Help forum

General discussion

Tried to clear some things in my system file

I tried to clear some things in my system file so I could download my updates as it was telling me there was no room and couldn't do it.
I went in and thought I was getting rid of the right things like temporary files etc. This in turn messed up the other user on my computer so I retrieved the deleted files out of the trash. Still big problems with the other user. I then went into restore but it wouldn't let me go back any further then the day I entered it. I tried restoring on that date but nothing changed so I un restored it.
My husband is the other user and he is not computer savvy and pretty angry with me for doing all this, please help what have I done?
When he goes in it won't let me put the icons into the start up and his home page is not there anymore, it wants me to download the new version of Explorer, when I do this is doesn't retaind and every time the user goes in it comes up again to download. HELP ME PLEASE!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tried to clear some things in my system file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tried to clear some things in my system file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
'System Files' Shouldn't Be Cleared...

In reply to: Tried to clear some things in my system file

Or are your referring to "Temporary Internet Files"? Please tell us the EXACT files that you removed.. In addition, what operating system is on your computer?

Do you mean new version of "INTERNET Explorer" or does it say "Explorer"? The EXACT download request would be helpful.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
System File E drive

In reply to: 'System Files' Shouldn't Be Cleared...

I am referring to Temporary Internet Files like download from emails and short cuts.
I mean the new version of Internet Explorer 7. The only user that this is having any effect on is my husband. He can't download now and Microsoft Phishing filter comes on and asks to turn on auto Phishing in case the site is not a real one. I do and then, Welcome to Google tool bar and asks either to set it as homepage or default etc. I do and then Thank you for choosing Internet Explorer 7 then onto required setting which I did. This costantly comes up every time I go into this user even though I saved the settings. I took a look at my programmes and deleted the ones I don't use to make room for my updates also. I have not touched anything to do with the running of my computer only programmes that I have put on. My windows installer has problems too and I'm pretty sure I didn't touch that. I went into my programmes and tried to repair thinking that that might be the reason that the other user couldn't download,and got the message "Fatal error" half way thrugh the fixing. I'm sorry I'm not so good at the technical terms.
OH DEAR what have I done? All I wanted to do was an update and was told that there was no room on the E drive which is my system files and to clear unwanted files. I guess I am learning the hard way.
Thank you so much for trying to help me, I hope I am clear.
My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition.
Rose

Collapse -
Just Some Suggestions..

In reply to: System File E drive

1. Try disabling the Phishing Filter like this: Click on Start-Control Panel, then double click on the "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Advanced" tab. When that opens, scroll down to the "Phishing Filter" section and select "Disable Phishing Filter", then click on "apply", then OK. It should no longer popup on your husband's use of Internet Explorer 7.

In regards to the "runonce" "Customize Settings" page that pops up the first time you use IE7 on the internet, before saving the settings, please place a dot/tick in the "Keep my default search provider" box, (I think that's the wording in the top section.), THEN click on the "Save Settings' button.

And if necessary, try using a different browser such as the free Firefox from the link below.. Download the file, then install it.. It shouldn't have the same problems as IE7.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Not working still

In reply to: Just Some Suggestions..

My husbands user site will not let me download anything and will not open anything, I did go in and disable phishing filter and it still did the same thing. I can't understand what is going on here. It seems that it won't let this particular user do anything it just wants me to download explorer 7. I do all the things I am suppose to do but nothing happens. I have even made him an administrator but still won't do anything. Why can't I download or open anything?
Is it possible to transfer all his files to the guest user, as that is working well and get rid of the user that is not doing well and make it his? If so how do I go about it? I used to have firefox as I think it is a great browser but after I paid someone to fix my computer before I can't download firefox any more. I have paid out too much money to this guy and I really would like to be able to fix things myself. I got into this mess because it was telling me that there was not enough room on the system file to download the updates and I have a feeling that that is probably one of my biggest problems. My computer is not being updated in total, some are but some are not.
I appreciate your time in trying to help me and I totally understand that it is very difficult when you are not at the problem computer.
I will persevere and take any advise that you may give me.
Thank you
Rose

Collapse -
Lets Start From Scratch..

In reply to: Tried to clear some things in my system file

Yes, it is certainly easy to create a new user and copy all the information over to the new user.. Don't use the "guest" login because there are limitations to that particular login.. Instead, open the Control Panel, double click on the "User Accounts" icon and add a new username, with password, and give it "administrator" rights.

But first, because your computer is sounding more and more like it's infected with malware, Please follow the instructions below to download and run two free malware scanning tools:

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/dat...mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder...

Hope this helps let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
It gets worse every day

In reply to: Lets Start From Scratch..

My side is now not working very well. I rang my Nephew who seems to think that windows has a currupt file and suggests that I download all my personal files etc onto another hard disk and then get rid of the rest and then reinstall windows etc.
His suggestion is in line with yours and I thank you so much for your help.

I'm not sure if this will get to you as my computer is doing very weird things and lets me in sometimes and sometimes not it seems to have spread to my side the now I go into the "Guest" to get any thing done. I had to disable firewall. I still have protection with "Sheild Delux", I hope. Don't know how long I will be able to do this. The sooner I get on with the above suggestion the better.
I will attempt your suggestion first. I will keep you informed as to how it's going.
I am learning a great deal about my computer and even though I am at my wits end with all this at times, I am greatful to the help and the education I am gaining on the way.
Oh dear, what a Saga.
Cheers
Rose

Collapse -
Your Nephews Suggestion Is A Good One..

In reply to: It gets worse every day

At some point, the corruption can be widespread enough that a complete reformat and reinstall is the best, and quickest option.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tried you suggestion

In reply to: Your Nephews Suggestion Is A Good One..

Unfortunately this didn't work but it was certainly worth a try.
Now I will just wait till my nephew comes over and gets rid of what is causing my problems.
Thank you once again, I can't tell how grateful I am for your time and advise. I know how difficult it is to assist when you can't be in front of the problem and trying to get the right information from someone who doesn't really understand the workings of computers. Although I feel I am a lot wiser now.
Take care
Rose

Collapse -
in future

In reply to: Tried you suggestion

a registry program like "regcure" Registry Cleaner should help with problem errors in the future
especily blue screens of death

more at www.RegCure.com

i use "regcure" and "error repair pro" to keep my windows xp healthy.

Collapse -
Regcure Can Also Cause MORE Damage

In reply to: in future

We've got quite a few threads here where the users of Regcure, and other registry cleaners had to reformat or repair the computer BECAUSE they used such a program.. See the links below.. They are part of a long thread about RegCure. Only a few feel the product is worth its salt.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?messageID=2805148#2805148

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?messageID=2829182#2829182

For most newbies, XP doesn't really need a registry cleaner.. Until the user has sufficient knowledge to verify that all items being removed actually need to be removed, then it's probably not a good idea to do so.

Your choice on where to proceed from here...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: Regcure Can Also Cause MORE Damage

I have Reg Cure but I don't use it anymore as I have had problems with it also.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the beginning of my problems.
This combined with "Spybot Search" which pops up when you download and when a registry is changed and asks whether to allow or not.
They are a benefit only if you know what to allow or disallow other wise it can cause a whole lot of problems.
I seemed to look for anything and everything that would protect my computer and I'm sure the overkill towards safety is what ironically caused it's downfall. Too many protection programmes battling each other and confusing me.

Collapse -
dont confuse regcure for a antivirual program

In reply to: I agree

Collapse -
No Confusion At All...

In reply to: dont confuse regcure for a antivirual program

Apparently, you didn't read the links and all the other posts on the thread I linked to earlier.. We've seen way too many issues with that particular product on these forums..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.