Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Tricky Network problem in WXP

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I have a home network with six computers, connected to a DHCP Router and ADSL Modem. I also have a IOmega Network drive connected to the router.

Well, I had to reinstall Windows XP on one of the computers, taking the chance to install SP3 directly after installation.

So far so good. But when I was going to connect to the Network drive, I could not find ANY! computers when checking for them.

I can connect to the router on it?s setup IP adress, and also the drive setup. But I did not see the volume. I also have Internet connection.

I tried to ping the drive, and it worked. I tried to ping the other computers, but it did not work.

Then I tried to search for the volume, and it worked. I was able to map the volume as a drive, but I still can?t see it on the net. Searching for the other computers was negative.

Then I opened up the network connections on a second computer, and there I saw the reinstalled one, but could not connect to it.

I have triple-checked the network name, and it?s the same on all.

The only difference I can see, is that on the reinstalled computer, I only see "Local Network" and itself.

On remaining computers, I have "Internet Gateway" and "Local Network" when viewing the connections.

I have tried different setups in the network installation tool, but no success.

So I gather that some installation or service is missing or faulty, but what??

With hope for help
George

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tricky Network problem in WXP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tricky Network problem in WXP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems proper.

In reply to: Tricky Network problem in WXP

A default install could have the network firewall (now builtin) on XP blocking such shares. It's also possible you forgot an ACCOUNT issue or you may have exceeded the number of shares allowed in XP. For now, focus on your firewall settings.
Bob

Collapse -
Firewall question?

In reply to: Seems proper.

I have disabled the Firewall in XP. However, maybe the Firewall in Norton Internet Security needs to be configured?

Collapse -
Norton?

In reply to: Firewall question?

Sorry, I didn't see that installed. And yes, you get to configure that too.

Collapse -
Seems ok.

In reply to: Norton?

Have gone trough the different setup alternatives in NIS, and can?t find anything that might affect the problem. I think the problem is in the difference in the Connection types. But I can?t get XP to setup the Internet Gateway Icon.

Collapse -
Let's look at

In reply to: Seems ok.

Collapse -
Will check

In reply to: Let's look at

Could be it. Will check tomorrow. (It?s after midnight here). But should the router not recognize the computer again? It let?s me through to the Internet, and I have not changed IP adress or MAC adress.

Collapse -
That's a deep issue.

In reply to: Will check

Sorry but in a nutshell, a firewall could be blocking what it takes for the computers and your router to show in the Network Neighborhood. It's a common issue. Fixing is easy, explaining every port and its function would be too much for me to write about. Let's just let the traffic flow on the LAN.
Bob

Collapse -
I have now fixed the problem

In reply to: That's a deep issue.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. After all, it was the firewall settings in NIS. I had to define that I was connected to a trusted network. Then, whooops! Everything worked.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!