Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Trick computers in the network

by halisemre / December 24, 2008 5:11 AM PST

Hi everyone I am a networking noob.

I need to make required settings in my router which is us robotics that believe time.apple.com's IP address is 192.43.244.18. Something like this i found it on the net

address=/time.apple.com/192.43.244.18

i would really appreciate feedback

The reason that I need to do this is that the computer and devices that try to update time from time.apple.com and most of the time it is down. After restart some devices does not work correctly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trick computers in the network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trick computers in the network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually no trick at all is needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 5:14 AM PST

You would just use the HOSTS file on your PC and since that is consulted prior to DNS it works just fine. No trickery at all and best of all it's supported, documented, works and easy to do.
Bob

Collapse -
I can not
by halisemre / December 24, 2008 5:17 AM PST

Thanks for your quick reply.

But I cannot because this is mainly for apple tv not a computer.

Collapse -
apple tv
by halisemre / December 24, 2008 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: I can not

apple tv basically tries to look for the time when it restarts and look for time.apple.com but it can not connect so this is my main problem

Collapse -
I checked, reread your post and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: I can not

Sorry that you can't use my answer. However I couldn't find the Apple TV or the router make and model in your post. Little details like that may have me supplying a different answer.

But the trick I know of involves a linux box and a few days to hammer out. Let's see what router we have to work with.
Bob

Collapse -
I am sorry
by halisemre / December 24, 2008 5:26 AM PST

I am sorry for the lack of info my router is

USR9112 ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Router
Apple TV version 2.3

I am using imac's internet sharing to share the Ethernet wirelessly.

Collapse -
Router manuals. Comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 5:47 AM PST
http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-prod-template.asp?loc=mest&prod=9112 has the manuals.

Sadly the documentation was almost as brief as a Hallmark card. So there's no solution there with what documentation I could find.

To trick this we would need some "computer in the middle" solution. But since the smallest power unit I know of is the 350 buck Acer Aspire One you see at Walmart and while we could use that HOSTS file plus the trickery given at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx it seems costly and energy inefficient to me.

However there is an issue with DSL connections that I have found ways to help keep the connection alive with pings or router settings. BUT even when I used the emulator online for this modem router I could not find the settings I needed.

So there is a trick but as what cost?
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?