Speakeasy forum

Praise

Tri-motor flies

by Willy / September 14, 2013 2:14 AM PDT

The famous "Tin Goose" flies again or the trips it provides. The 1929 tri-motor Ford airplane offers rides for those seeking some insight to travel of days past. This isn't the original tin goose that crashed yrs. ago and still being rebuild, don't left that brother you.

http://www.flytheford.org

I hope to fly on it next year. I've got it on my bucket list. -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tri-motor flies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tri-motor flies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Great post Willy! I'm still kicking myself for not taking a
by Ziks511 / September 15, 2013 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Tri-motor flies

ride on the de Havilland Dragon Rapide airliners which have been maintained for sight-seeing in Britain. The DR isn't as old as the Ford Tri-Motor, but is from the early '30's, covered in fabric and with wicker seats for passengers. It's a twin engined aircraft and is actually quite beautifully designed and is quite reliable. The only airline service to the Scilly Isles off the tip of Cornwall was a small group of Dragon Rapide's until the late 1970's. Nearly 50 years of service.

I'm sure there's an entry on Wikipedia There are a trio of aircraft which look very similar, the Dragon, the DR and it's Military version.

Eventually I'm going to get the kit to make a 48" Electric Powered version as advertised on Amazon.com, and pick up a radio to fly it. I need to find something to get me out of the house.

So from now on your name will be Willy Post. I hope you get the reference. (see Wiley Post on Wikipedia)
Rob

Collapse -
FYI- one 4-sale
by Willy / September 16, 2013 5:42 AM PDT

The only de Havilland that comes to mind is the Beaver that flies alot in Alaska. So, I googled and got this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=de+havilland+dragon+rapide+for+sale&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fF03UuW4FtSl4APL44HgAw&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=685&dpr=1

Not only that but all the pictures too. It sure looks modern compared to the tri-motor. More like a Mack truck vs. a Rolls Royce, its that different.

Around here it seems once a yr. some of the US bombers like a B-24 and B-17 provide rides too down the road from me. I'm sure the cost is well under $100. Its nice to know the history of working airplanes can been seen now and then if only passing by. Some sound drones you know are more of a military type and now a crop-duster make you look up. Wink -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks, Willy. Two of the pictures show the hazards of
by Ziks511 / September 16, 2013 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: FYI- one 4-sale

mixing painted fabric and fuel. A simple backfire can cause problems.

During the War, the 24 cylinder Napier Sabre engine was fraught with teething problems, but delivered such a boost to horsepower it was irresistible and was put into service. This resulted in squadrons equipped with the Hawker Typhoon receiving extra fire fighting equipment so that each a/c as it started up could be covered in extinguisher spray if necessary. That, and the, at the time unrecognized, problem of elevator flutter resulted in life being "interesting" for Typhoon pilots. Still they're a large part of the reason that the Allies were able to break out of Normandy. They were prime Tank Busters. 8 Rockets per a/c.

Rob

Collapse -
If you're interested, de Havilland Canada was severed from
by Ziks511 / September 16, 2013 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: FYI- one 4-sale

the parent company in the UK at some point and became a self supporting and self sustaining concern, certainly from shortly after WW2 and with its own design and development programme. As it happens, I have had the pleasure of getting to know Russ Bannock up here, wartime Mosquito pilot and multiple ace both day and night and against both a/c and V-1s. He was de Havilland's chief test pilot. and flight tested the Beaver and every other DHC Ltd aircraft after the war.

The Chipmunk primary trainer was their first independent creation designed, as was the Beaver, during Wartime. Then the Beaver, Otter, Caribou, Turbo-Beaver, Twin Otter, and Buffalo aircraft. all but the Chipmunk were used in Viet Nam. The Beaver was a more capable replacement for the Noorduyn Norseman the only Canadian designed a'c used in WW2 and the aircraft that Glenn Miller was lost in over the English Channel. All the above but the Chippie were STOL a/c because Canada has particular needs in that regard particularly in the arctic.

If you compare the old de Havilland designs dating back to the First World War, you can see a continuous refinement of their characteristic fin and rudder shape. The Beaver and Otter were the last of that string in Canada, but the post-war de Havilland UK Heron and the twin engine small airliner whose name has slipped my mind (? Dove) also have a development of that tail shape.

In re: WW1 the de Havilland DH-4 equipped the US Army Air Corps in France for observation and light bombing duties. The DH 9 may also have been used by us there. The USAAC operated Mosquitoes in World War 2 for reconnaissance. I've mentioned this before, but if you watch Jimmy Stewart in the movie Rear Window there's a blown up photo of an American wartime Mozzie behind him hanging on the wall while he's watching the apartment across the way through his window. I suspect it may be an aircraft which Stewart flew during the War.

My father was delighted by the Mosquito which he flew though not on operations, in the UK during the war. He flew Douglas DB-7s, often referred to as Havocs by the American forces and as Bostons by the British. He was a tad frustrated that he didn't get into Mosquitoes, but the US only operated them in small numbers, and his transfer to Photo Recon wasn't considered sufficiently urgent for it to happen before War's end. The other thing was P-38's were also used in Photo Recon, and maybe his navigation wasn't considered to be hot enough since it was a single seater. War is pretty arbitrary.

Rob

Collapse -
I don't know if this will appeal, but the best discussion of
by Ziks511 / September 15, 2013 3:08 PM PDT

fighter tactics is, not surprisingly, Edward H. Sims' book Fighter Tactics and Strategy 1914-1970 published in 1972. I had the original, which a "friend" borrowed and never returned, but I have a Corgi version called Fighter Exploits which has the full text.

I recommend it if you're interested.

Rob

Collapse -
Another particularly interesting aircraft from the mid 30's
by Ziks511 / September 16, 2013 11:42 PM PDT

The Fiesler Fi-156 Storch (Stork) the first STOL aircraft ever designed. Wonderfully gawky, with an inverted V 8 aircooled engine by Argus.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1152&bih=554&q=fieseler+fi-156+storch&oq=Fiesler&gs_l=img.1.5.0j0i10i24l9.933.2838.0.11710.7.7.0.0.0.0.251.1029.3j1j3.7.0....0...1ac.1.26.img..1.6.777.CrUXvh9O4r8

Oops, sorry. The French company Morane Saulnier continued to build them after the war, powered by a French radial engine, not nearly as good looking as the original with the Argus.

Another a/c you might enjoy is the Messerschmitt Bf-108 Taifun (typhoon). Its a very nice low-winged 4 seater and the tail secton behind the cockpit was adapted and used for the Messerschmitt Bf-109 it too has the same Argus A-10 240hp engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Bf_108

Ahh, if I could only win the lottery !!

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.