General discussion

Trend Micro turns off my virus protection in OS Windows XP

When I update my Trend Micro security software, I get an alert from windows security that informs me that my virus protection has been disabled. If monitored I can see that it is turned off. After the Trend update the virus protection is turned back on. This seems to be a possible compromise with the software. I did not have this problem with my previous security software.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Trend Micro turns off my virus protection in OS Windows XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Trend Micro turns off my virus protection in OS Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If Trend Micro IS Your Virus Protection...

You mention that when Trend updates, your virus protection is turned off.. As long as you only have Trend installed as your virus protection, then I don't think there's a problem.. During many such updates Trend Micro's scanning program will shut down temporarily to install its updates. It can't perform the update unless it shuts down briefly. When the update is completed, then Trend restarts and enables itself again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Trend Micro Virus Protection Turns off durinig updates

The concern is that the machine is not protected at this time. If you wanted to compromise a PC would that not the be the appropriate time to do it?

- Collapse -
What I Find Here...

When Trend Micro is updating and the program shuts down temporarily, nothing functions correctly on the computer anyway. . For those few seconds that it takes TM to restart, you won't get infected.

I also find that the program doesn't shut down with "every" update.. Instead, it only does so when specific files are included such as the scan engine dll's and such.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info