Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

trend micro security won't uninstall!

by Nerosas / January 7, 2012 4:03 AM PST

I had the trial version of Trend Micro Security installed on my Eee PC. I have never used it so I tried to uninstall it via the Control Panel. Nothing happens. I start the task manager and it says Remove.exe is running and taking up CPU and RAM. 20 mins later still nothing and Remove.exe is still running, so to conserve CPU and RAM I ended the process.
I went to this link => http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1054777.aspx

and tried the other two ways of uninstalling. Both times, it said "Do you want Remove.exe to make changes to your computer?" So I click yes and both times it is the same story as above. Any ideas on how to uninstall this thing? It is wasting valuable hard drive space and your comments will be appreciated:)

Nerosas has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trend micro security won't uninstall!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trend micro security won't uninstall!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Nerosas

Collapse -
TIS has manual methods and tools.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 4:08 AM PST
Collapse -
by Nerosas / January 7, 2012 4:26 AM PST

The diagnostic toolkit isn't working either, sadly. It opens but when I click uninstall, it skips past the uninstall process and straight away asks me if I want to restart my computer or not, which is apparently not how it is supposed to work on this link => http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1037161.aspx

which I found to be one of the more popular solutions on your link. I'd rather only enter safe mode as a last resort as my netbook doesn't take on board the fact that people are pressing keys when it is starting up and you end up having to do unnecessary hard shutdowns just to make it enter safe mode. But if it's my only choice, I'll do it. I think the recovery disc for my netbook still works:)

Collapse -
Sorry but did I read
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: :(

I can't tell but it sounds like you are discarding methods that involve a little registry edit or deleting files.

That's OK by me as I encounter more folk that must only use Click Here repair tools.

Collapse -
It's because...
by Nerosas / January 7, 2012 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry but did I read

The guide I found that uses CMD and the registry on your link. I'm sure it's great, but I don't understand it.

1) Run cmd (Right-click on "Run as administrator") and then type: net use adminstrator activate:yes
2) Run msconfig.exe and task manager and stop all posible services/processes from TrendMicro, exit without restart
3) Run regedit.exe and RENAME the key HKLM/Software/TrendMicro to some other name, "TM" for example
4) Restart
5) same as 1: Run cmd (Right-click on "Run as administrator") and then type: net use adminstrator activate:yes
6) Run regedit.exe
7) delete HKLM/Software/TrendMicro key
Cool Then rename "TM" key back to "TrendMicro"
9) Go to Control Panel, select "Programs & Features", select "TrendMicro" and Run Uninstall from there.

^^^ why does it require me to rename the key AFTER deleting it? And how would you do that? That I don't understand.

Collapse -
For why I'd have to defer to those that created the procedur
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: It's because...

But it seems to be a method to pry out or remove Trend Micro so all I can do is write "I'd try that."

Collapse -
Just asking, but...
by Nerosas / January 7, 2012 5:03 AM PST

Would it also work if I just found it's folder in the Program Files and just pressed 'delete', and also deleted all registry keys associated with it? Just asking.

Collapse -
See MarkFlex's reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Just asking, but...

"I'd do that."

Collapse -
About the registry
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: It's because...

As I understand it, any changes made to the registry don't take effect until after a reboot, (restart).

That means that deleting or modifying keys or registry values won't make any difference, generally, until the system has been rebooted and the registry is reloaded.

In the guidance above,

Item 2 - prevents TrendMicro from running at the next boot up.

item 3 - you are being asked to rename a key from TrendMicro to TM, (or anything else you wish), then reboot. This likely removes any problem values in that key that is preventing you from uninstalling the TrendMicro software.

Item 7 - however, on the reboot, the OS finds that TrendMicro software is installed and re-creates the TrendMicro key, probably with blank or default values. That's no good, so delete it.

Item 8 - By renaming the previously renamed key back to TrendMicro, when you uninstall it, the uninstall process will search for the key and delete it properly. If it did contain any problem values that doesn't matter because; a) that key has not been loaded from the last reboot, and/or b) the software isn't running anyway.

That's how I understand it anyway.

As to your latest question, yes, you can simply delete the folders and hunt down any registry keys, but why not just try this? It seems so much more comprehensive using the software's own uninstall procedure, and you never know what remnants will be left behind with manual deletions.

Collapse -
Thanks for the explanation:)
by Nerosas / January 7, 2012 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: About the registry

It would have taken me hours to figure that out by myself:)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?