Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Trend Micro is garbage

by Dude37 / March 13, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

I installed the 2007 AV/S on my desktop, and updated it... Until today, I couldnt run a scan (Would pop up a message saying it was updating, try later) Today, I cant even load the program... It pops up a message saying only the administrator can use the program... Hello!!! Thats me... About a week ago I sent them an email (First time it wouldnt let me scan), and got no response... Today I tried calling thier 2 numbers on the pacific time zone... 1 is staffed from 5-5 the other 5-8... Repeated calls to the second one is just a dead busy signal... No switchboard or anything... I'm convinced that Trend Micro is the cause of the problem, or if they arent the cause, they arent stopping it either... GARBAGE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trend Micro is garbage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trend Micro is garbage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by Dude37 / March 13, 2007 12:01 PM PDT

Thats like a big search engine, with 5000 responses for every way you can word your search... I dont need to read all day to fix it, I need contact with a human... And so far, I have no proof TM employs them

Collapse -
Yikes - did you have a look here.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 13, 2007 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes
Collapse -
SIGH YEAH
by Dude37 / March 13, 2007 12:34 PM PDT

Thats a different page, same 5am to 5pm number... I guess problems only happen in the first 12 hours of the day!!! GRRRRR

Collapse -
There was an article that Donna Ventura's link had:
by darclew7 / March 13, 2007 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: SIGH YEAH

went back 7 pages to find it. On the top left corner is the best antivirus for 2007 that is sold. I was surprised to see Computer Associates tied for 2nd place-it's main problem then was lack of accessibilty to support according to CNET. They have a way to have a live tech support now. I pointed out that there was a problem in the accepting the terms for, normally, I see that and and know what is on that so I'd go to click accept. Problem is you have to draw that all the way down to get mark accept. Theyare aware of it and are trying to get it resolved. Darrell L.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=236110&messageID=2416715

Collapse -
Trend Micro
by Major1949 / March 19, 2007 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

This is interesting as I have no problems with this program. In fact, I switched from McAfee because it often crashed my computer. When I did have issue with Trend Micro, I got a representative that was very helpful. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Collapse -
Trend Micro
by blueoysterdvp / March 14, 2007 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Trend Micro is garbage

Try the Support Chat Tab on the right hand side of the interface when you open Trend Micro Internet Security 2007.During off peak hours I've had success there.TM 2007 conflicts with Spybot and ad-aware se.I had problems when I first installed TM.Unfortunately I had to uninstall the above mentioned 2 programs to get a clean install.Am using the paid version also if that makes a difference.

Collapse -
Pissed
by Dude37 / March 14, 2007 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Trend Micro

Ok, I cant open the interface... It says I need to be an administrator... Which, If I'm not as the single user of this computer, who the hell is??? I just waited exactly 16 and a half minutes on thier "customer service" line without getting to a human being... I'm convinced they dont have them..... I wonder if I threaten them with a class action lawsuit, maybe they would answer thier phone then... I have been without sufficient protection for 9 days now and am pissed

Collapse -
I might be able to help
by tmjason / March 15, 2007 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Pissed

I work for Trend. If you'll post your email addy out here I'm pretty sure I can get you taken care of.

Collapse -
ok we'll see
by Dude37 / March 15, 2007 7:08 AM PDT

mitschkenator@gmail.com

Collapse -
trend micro
by ron533 / March 20, 2007 11:44 AM PDT

Is trend the one that makes spyware doctor 5

Collapse -
Spyware Doctor
by patrick_o / April 24, 2007 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: trend micro

Hi ron533,

PC Tools does. Have a look http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

Patrick
--
The views posted on this forum are my own views and do not necessarily represent the positions or views of PC Tools.
--

Collapse -
administrator
by beepster / March 19, 2007 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Pissed

It depends on how you have your computer set up as to whether you sign in as the administrator or by password. If this is YOUR computer (not at work), you may have it set for password and automatically start loading OS. If THAT is the case, go to START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, and change to log on as administrator. I may be preaching to the choir here, but then, maybe not. I'm currently using 2006 version, as my renewal date hasn't come up yet. I don't like the idea of it interfering with SPY BOT or AD-AWARE se. I have both, also. Between the three, I've had good success.

Collapse -
Ad-Aware use
by kkasian / March 19, 2007 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: administrator

I am using the Trend 2007 version and have no problem running my Ad-Aware SE or the Trend.

Collapse -
Other Anti-Virus
by sdstern / March 18, 2007 11:34 PM PDT

I've been through many of them, including those you mentioned. Kapersky's been on my system for nearly a year and seems to do the trick.

Collapse -
Too Many
by Dude37 / March 19, 2007 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Other Anti-Virus

I've used the norton it came with, system mechanic pro 6, kaspersky 06, avg free, a couple others I cant remember now, and TM... None of them caught everything, but AVG was the only one that didnt give me issues...

Collapse -
trend micro problem
by himm66 / March 19, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

hi... did you just need an anti-virus program? if so, why don't you switch to avg 7.5 anti-virus... it's FREE... it does auto update/scan... & install a free anti-spyware & a free firewall program (which i did & got no problems)... you can download the following here (which you can set to run & update automatically, too):

avg 7.5: (free a/v)
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

zonealarm 7 (free firewall app)
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en

spybot s&d (free anti-spyware)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Collapse -
yeah
by Dude37 / March 19, 2007 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: trend micro problem

Yeah, but you are missing the point... I paid for trend... I want it to work

Collapse -
trend micro problem
by himm66 / March 19, 2007 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: yeah

well... i didn't miss your point as i'm aware it's not a FREE program (that's why you want the problem solved).... was just trying to help.... i guess you dont have much choice anyway (if it doesn't work...) have a great one!

Collapse -
You are right
by Dude37 / March 19, 2007 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: trend micro problem

I dont have a choice... Your help isn't overlooked, I have used all those programs, and am starting to think that the free ones (spybot, avg) are the best... I know that Trend, System Mechanic, Zone alarm and Kaspersky all crashed my system... Something Avg and Spybot havent done..

Collapse -
Trend Micro----the worst
by Anita 123 / March 20, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

Hooray, there is someone else who thinks this program is garbage.
I reformatted my hard drive and reloaded Trend Micro. I had recently paid for my yearly subscription which gave me a different activation number. I tried to activate with this previous activation number , with no success.
I have countless emails sent and recived between Trend Micro and myself. I requested assistance to reactivate. 6 of the emails from Trend Micro, requested the same information---my credit card number, my order number etc etc. 6 times I sent them the information. FINALLY , I was given an activation number which did not work, I was then given two more (different numbers) to try to activate---these also did not work.
I emailed them with this info---THREE TIMES. Three times as I received emails from them advising me to reply to them.
Finally, I have cut my losses and given up this Trend Micro as a joke
Their customer service must be the penultimate worst I have ever experienced.
My advise---do not use this product. If you have problems, you are in trouble as you will get the same reditive emails over and over and over again---with NO solution.

Collapse -
was your machine compromized
by ask4anu / March 21, 2007 5:19 PM PDT

before you installed it

1-800-

Collapse -
Trend Micro
by Anita 123 / March 22, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

Hi there
I had reformatted my hard drive the very day I reloaded Trend Micro.
ALL the software reloaded that day works 100% .
My computer is in tip top condition. My complaint is the activation number which Trend Micro are emailing me that do not work as the program will not activate.

Collapse -
WELCOME TO PAYED CONTINUED SUPPORT
by ask4anu / March 22, 2007 1:08 PM PDT

this means either your subscription or free trail is over and it is time to PAY THE MAN for continued SUPPORT
i recommend chucking it and get a FREE copy OF AVG
or BREAK OUT THE CREDIT CARD AND SPEND THAT MONEY
there are other free anti virus programs as well
AVG is just DIFFERENT FROM ALL THE REST

1-800-

Collapse -
Great Idea
by tallin / March 22, 2007 1:29 PM PDT

I agree, why bother with a company that gives you stress. I just terminated a contract/program from a company I purchased 12 months ago, deleted/uninstalled the lot and would not bother with them again. There is so much good free Antivirus, Antispyware software etc out there why give yourself stress in dealing with hard to get on with people.

Kind regards,

Collapse -
Trend Micro
by Anita 123 / March 23, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

Hey the problem is that I had paid---this is what bugged me.
You know what else bugs me? is that many many email articles I receive from say PC World, actually promote Trend Micro.
Perhaps I am one of the few who has had poor poor service.
AVG is great---easy download, easy use and no problems.
Thanks for the reply
Regards

Collapse -
TREND MICRO IS ONE OF THE BEST
by ask4anu / March 23, 2007 2:11 PM PDT

INTERNET SUITES there is on the market i used it for 4 years solid and payed every year just like MILLIONS do
but i got tired of having to shell out each year that 28 dollars for CONTINUED SUPPORT or 35.99 to upgrade to newer version so when i heard about AVG i give it a try
and FOR A FREE ANTIVIRUS it rocks it is different then most antivirus's buy the way it watches over your system
and so far i have been virus free

AVG isnt the only free antivirus on the market
but its the only one i know of right now that has snmp(simple network management protocol) support

DID I MENTION IT WAS FREE

and dont worrie about the shelldll and userdll and so on that you will see after any updates
in the AVG control panel as this lets you know
AVG is on guard and your updates where applied

1-800-

Collapse -
rdgr5tyh6r
by Dude37 / April 9, 2007 12:45 PM PDT

Trend Micro is promoted in computer magazines??? Are we talking unbiased magazines or mags that accept advertizing? If you see one ad in the magazine, they can be bought, in most cases, unethically...

Spyware Doctor is by PC Tools... SD is on my garbage list too, but I like thier Registry Mechanic...

If it hasnt been said a million times,

AVG Free and Spybot are the way to go... I dont know why I keep spending money on junk when I can have the best for free... Kudos to Grisoft and Spybot!!!

Collapse -
more problems
by Dude37 / April 9, 2007 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: rdgr5tyh6r

I just ran into another problem with Trend Micro... Surprise!!!! Didnt see that coming!!!

I cant uninstall it... It says "installation error"...

I removed it from regedit and upon startup, it's back....

Does anyone have any idea how to wipe this disease off my machine???

I'm convinced TM is malware...

Collapse -
Uninstalling Trend Micro
by Anita 123 / April 10, 2007 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: more problems

I checked on the files for TMas on my computer and I have a file named
"SpUninst"---I assume this should uninstall Trend Micro--but then who knows.
Hope this helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!