Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Trend Micro acts like a spyware program

by pat1il / June 4, 2008 3:22 PM PDT

Trend Micro Internet Security is a major spyware product and has incompetent software engineers.

I have verified that I received duplicate http request from my home computer running Trend Micro Internet Security on my server. I developed a web based application for Habitat for Humanity and receive duplicate order transactions with identical information except one is from my home computer and the other is from an internet address 150.70.84.25 delayed by somewhere from less than a second to 30 seconds.

After over two months of frustrating efforts to resolve this problem, Trend Micro sent me this response. "Regarding your case, the developers replied back to my request and they have confirmed that the IP address 150.70.84.25 is created when the ?Phishing Filter? feature of the program is turned on. This IP is coming from our in the cloud web reputation server."

The net effect is that every single http transaction is duplicated with no intelligent determination of whether the IP address has already been verified. This doubles the traffic at the server, confuses any traffic reports and is an invasion of privacy. No where in the installation process was any mention made that they were forwarding all of my http requests to there server!!!

After waiting for over a month for a "fix", I have yet to hear from them. My recommendation to everyone out there is to use another security program.

Pat

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trend Micro acts like a spyware program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trend Micro acts like a spyware program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

I can't count how many times bugs have been reported in nearly all the products in question. Maybe you should try another OS with full source open to you without the vulnerability you are protecting against?

Or why would you need the antiphish feature turned on in this instance. Your post is something like "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Collapse -
Alarming Trend behavior...
by deiussum / July 5, 2009 10:20 PM PDT

I came across this post when trying to search out this exact issue. I have a small Facebook application that I was checking the logging on. I noticed that often, my brother-in-laws requests came from 3 or 4 different IPs. Usually the whois info on these IPs were owned by Trend, but occasionally they appeared to originate out of some IP owned by a company in Japan.

What I find most alarming about this is that these fake IPs were actually appearing to be logged in as my brother-in-laws account. So Trend is obviously also sending the cookies made with a request.

Now I realize that Trend is likely not storing this information anywhere, or planning to use it maliciously, but it really makes me nervous to know that they are sending all this information to some other computer and duplicating requests. In the context of my Facebook app, this behavior is relatively benign, but when I consider that this probably also happens with banking info, it makes me a bit nervous.

I realize a solution is to simply turn off the phishing filter, but how many people out there are aware of this behavior in order to do so?

Collapse -
I'm seeing this too
by tempyfifteenth / October 24, 2011 10:00 AM PDT

I run a medium-sized web app and I just found this thread while researching the issue. I get at least a few of these requests a day, though in my case they're all denied because trendmicro fails to replicate the oauth data and clientagent properly. This also makes the system ring some scary alarm bells, which is annoying.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.