Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

trend micro

by glondor / October 20, 2006 4:14 AM PDT

Hi all Win 98 se IE 6. I have been trying to run a trend micro scan for several days now. It will load to the "preparing to scan" page, with a message that it is updating files. It stalls there with a flurry of dl activity. ( the cursor flashes and blinks busy like crazy) However it never seems to complete the dl. It appears to just repeat it over and over very fast. I think it says downloading pictures, page 5,4,3,2,1 and then repeats, however I may be wrong on this point as the text is very quick. I have left it as long as 12 hours in this state trying to dl. I have upgraded java, I have chosen the option to "use another kernal" I have closed all proggys and tried it. I have tried everything and option available with no sucsess. Oh yeah I also tried the other version, Directx I think it was. ( the one for users with no java) Any ideas??? I would appreciate help as i am trying to kill a trojen thanks all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trend micro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trend micro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On-line scans
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 20, 2006 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: trend micro

Please run the Housecall online virus scan located at:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
Follow the prompts to scan your hard drive for viruses. Select the "Autoclean" option so that Housecall will remove any viruses from your system.
When the scan is finished, please restart your computer.

Then please run the Panda scan here:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/acti...n_principal.htm
Choose to "Disinfect automatically," and follow the prompts. Delete any viruses found, and restart your computer.

Finally, please run the WindowSecurity trojan scan here:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
Remove any trojans found, and restart your computer.

Housecall (using IE with Active-X)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Housecall (all browsers using java)
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

HTH

Collapse -
trend micre housecall
by glondor / October 20, 2006 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: On-line scans

hmmmm I think you missed my point. I cannot get housecall to work, I would like it to work. Are there any suggestions on getting it to work. Thanks tho.

Collapse -
I have NO clue WHY Housecall doesn't work for you
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 21, 2006 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: trend micre housecall
Collapse -
Perhaps
by Bob__B / October 20, 2006 8:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
I had the same...
by waxplayer / October 20, 2006 9:49 PM PDT

problem last week. I use xpPro however so I don't know if it will work for you as well. What I did; a few seconds after I noticed it was hanging on that screen with the text at bottom left recycling over and over. I closed the window to exit the site. I then ran ccleaner to clean out all the cookies and such. I returned to the scan site and all was fine. HTH

Collapse -
same problem...
by fortuna / October 21, 2006 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I had the same...

I've been trying to run a TM scan on a 98 for the last week...
so OP I feel your pain.

I even did the "off market" IE Patch for Win98 I saw here on the 98 Forum.. Hoping that was the answer... It wasn't Sad

So I guess I will try the post with links to see if one of them works.
Though I have Adaware and Spybot already.

Just curious, what regular AV do you use ? I had Norton. And if I got something, obviously, They missed it... Needless to say, I've switched to Avast now.. but I still suspect something's up with my system..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?