Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Trees are nice

by JP Bill / February 1, 2009 10:30 PM PST

BUT you have to trim them, so when you have a ice storm/buildup they don't knock down power lines.....OR you can bury the power lines (way more expensive).

A good place to spend some of the "stimulus money" (chain saws, trucks, workers>>>there ya' go)

Every part of the US has been affected by this problem in the last few years.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trees are nice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trees are nice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be happy...
by Willy / February 1, 2009 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Trees are nice

It all makes sense until you have to "foot the bill" Tress are trimmed often enough but it seems it takes only one tree/branch to bring down power. Also, using the same logic of why not do it better. Let's consider the RxR wooden ties, why not have them be concrete so they don't need to be replaced and/or often. Why not, use steel or concrete poles instead creosote soaked logs for telephone poles everywhere. Already done down South(if possible) due to termite damage. Why not make our roads 6ft. thick so they don't crack or breakdown due to trucks and weather and need repaving/redone. You know why, it costs too much. Only severe or high stress areas may get the attention needed. As for placing power underground, you know that can be "your option" at least from the road(service) to your home. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
RE: it takes only one tree/branch to bring down power
by JP Bill / February 1, 2009 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Be happy...

Then you clear the one tree/branch......It's a lot easier than clearing 1,000 tree/branches.

It's called preventive maintenance.

Reading your posts, you're doing your bit to be prepared, so should the utilities.

Collapse -
May not be my branch/tree
by Willy / February 2, 2009 5:41 AM PST

The tree trimming that the local power co. does is welcomed. They do it at least every 2-3 yrs. I do try to maintain a clearance to keep trees from growing back. I also use those for firewood. But, some trees aren't meant to be cut down, they provide a wind barrier and inopportune(sp) fence of sorts. Plus, not everyone is capable of doing even the most basic of trimming on their own when we're talking grown tress and the whole lot for that matter. Of course, when I can, I do. However, some neighbors are elderly and/or retired couldn't do it or hire someone they can afford. Taking down one tree can cost when a hired crew is involved. But yes, you do what you can and hope its enough plus the power co. trimming. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
re some trees aren't meant to be cut down
by Roger NC / February 2, 2009 9:20 AM PST

True, but why plant them under a powerline then? See it all too often, too tall a tree planted under or two near a powerline.

At best, it just ends up mangled mess as the power company cuts a hole around the line (which will not stop the tree from taking down the line if a storm takes it down toward the powerline).

Collapse -
remove the illegal trees
by James Denison / February 2, 2009 12:02 PM PST

I for one am tired of people planting tall growing trees under power lines and then acting like it's someone else's fault when it breaks in wind, heavy snow, and knocks the power out. My power lines across front of my yard have crabapples under them. They will never reach the lines. I've seen others with norfolk pines and hemlocks planted under them, and these are trees planted AFTER the lines were put in.

Collapse -
Work, work, nothing but work
by Willy / February 3, 2009 12:52 AM PST

I'm sure this is utter ignorance on the part of the homeowners, they just don't know. Plus, it may not become a problem until too late or more to the matter it will cost them. Yeah, I too wish they could get rid of such tress. But, from what I've seen around here, big holes and loped off sides of tress is the result. Homeowners can moan all they want but if its in the right-of-way or public necessity item they lose, usually. I for one tell them to cut it down and leave the trunks for me. However, I have "acreage" and not just a couple of tress to deal with. When looked at this this way, its a chore of a yearly task to keep the tress and brush back. I have other duties to do and this more than one person can do on a timely basis. Those trees grew on their own and freely wherever they landed. Of course, I'm not the only one with this problem, that's why I see the tree trimmers every 2-3yrs. in our area. Some trees can grow fast and become a problem within 3-5yrs time. Believe me, you need equipment to work at this and not just a chain saw. -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
bury the power lines way less expensive....
by caktus / February 3, 2009 12:18 AM PST

....and much faster.

Collapse -
Buried lines still burn
by Steven Haninger / February 3, 2009 12:37 AM PST

and to find and repair the area of the trouble isn't as easy as looking up into the air.

Collapse -
RE: reply to: Buried lines still burn
by caktus / February 3, 2009 7:37 AM PST

Cost runs about %90 less in my area. (Even less to bury phone lines which I figure are about obsolete anyway.)
The only times much of the area experiences power outages is when storms or a drunk driver cause overhead lines to be downed. And locating even unmapped or otherwise unmarked lines does not cause problems. Flooding doesn't even seem to cause problems. Modern tech make it possible to locate breakage/disconnect issues quickly, mostly using methods that have been in use for decades. Many areas in the US both commercial and residential successfully run and maintain power lines underground. Most of Europe runs power lines underground.

To say it is unworkable is like saying your phone bill is always correct because computers don't make mistakes. A lot of folks said running phones lines under the oceans would not work. Many folks said it would be impossible to send a man to the moon and return him safely. This kind of list could go on endlessly. But imagine if all these particular "folks" had the last say, Humans would have died out eons ago.

Collapse -
There is trimming and there is trimming
by Angeline Booher / February 3, 2009 2:38 AM PST

Some places thought ahead. They put the utility lines to homes underground.

My local electric authority does that for new homes. But it's common for builders to mow down every tree.

So, instead, the utility comes around every 3 years and chops away haphazardly under the guise of trimming. Chopping off the crwn of a tree is a death knell. Their work is so ugly that sometimes a homeowner will say, "Just cut it down!"

We've fought 3 visits from those trucks. This year they slipped in when nobody was home and finished their hatchet (chain-saw) job on ouyr gorgeous (past) decades old pine tree.

We favor trimming and would be cooperative, except 3 times they have cut more and more of that tree for no reason. The electric wire runs above it. They just look for anything to "trim" to justify the gasoline it took them to get to the site, and their jobs,

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Property easements
by Steven Haninger / February 3, 2009 3:37 AM PST

We've a pole in the back of the yard and a tree line between the roadway and the usable part of the property. From the road to the pole, at least, is city easement. Thus, it's my property to maintain but the city has some limited rights of access and use. They planted the trees and granted the utility company permission to put up the pole that carries electric, telephone and cable service. The trees are close enough to grow into the wires and sway into them regularly in the wind.... sometimes causing the transformer fuse to be knocked out. To me, the trees are overgrown and should be removed but the city won't do it and I'm not permitted to. We also have a city planted and overgrown tree in the front that had torn up the concrete sidewalk. The tree is starved for nutrients and drops dead limbs all year long....some of which are quite large. Last year the city repaired a portion of the sidewalk. This included cutting of some of the exposed and very large anchoring roots of the tree in order to frame the walk and pour the concrete. I argued that cutting these large roots would make the tree weaker in high winds. I also argued that the damage to the sidewalk would probably continue unless the tree was removed as well. The contractor doing the concrete work agreed with me. It's just how the city does things on "their" property, I guess.

Collapse -
tak'em down Angeline
by James Denison / February 3, 2009 4:51 AM PST

It's not just you at risk, but everyone around you who depends on electricity. Thankfully I have a woodstove I put in this year, because in past years at the coldest time of year, wet snow on the pines, one breaks over and puts us in the dark and cold. Everytime in winter when I drive down the main line and see all the trees that are just waiting to take out our power given the right circumstances I feel like doing a chainsaw massacre. Plant some dogwoods, crabapples, crepe myrtles, and other small trees that won't reach the lines. Most of them look better anyway and also feed the birds and other wildlife. I assure you a line of pink flowering dogwoods or crapapples under a powerline looks a lot better than hacked up and topped off trees.

Collapse -
smaller trees
by James Denison / February 3, 2009 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: tak'em down Angeline
Collapse -
(NT) No crabs. Maybe a Bradford Pear
by Steven Haninger / February 3, 2009 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: smaller trees
Collapse -
No, it's not.
by Angeline Booher / February 3, 2009 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: tak'em down Angeline

These trees are on a utility easement between, not in front of, the property.

The only electrical wire hat impacts anybody is the service line from the street to this house. The neighbor has his own service line from the street.

It costs at least $2000 to have a mature tree cut down. My son had one, an ancient oak, done here by the house, and that cost $4000.

Crepe Myrtles are planted along the street-side front easement-alternating red/white. We are careful here re: some flowering trees because of their propensity for disease.

Trees serve as wind-breakers , shade, and shelter for birds and squirrels.

Fireplaces are popular here, both wood-burning and gas. Catalytic converters are required in stoves. Some neighborhoods ban them because of the smoke.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?