Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Traumatic brain trauma 'signature wound' of Iraq War?

Key Iraq wound: Brain trauma.
>> Known as traumatic brain injury, or TBI, the wound is of the sort that many soldiers in previous wars never lived long enough to suffer. The explosions often cause brain damage similar to "shaken-baby syndrome," says Warren Lux, a neurologist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.

"You've got great body armor on, and you don't die," says Louis French, a neuropsychologist at Walter Reed. "But there's a whole other set of possible consequences."<<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Traumatic brain trauma 'signature wound' of Iraq War?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Traumatic brain trauma 'signature wound' of Iraq War?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Had it ready; you beat me to it.

In reply to: Traumatic brain trauma 'signature wound' of Iraq War?

Related info:
Best tactical wisdom is 'wound, don't kill.' Wounded enemy soldier ties up more of his people's resources; raises their 'cost of doing business.' Brain injury adds a new dimension. Ain't evolution grand?
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
You'll also find many more survivors

In reply to: Traumatic brain trauma 'signature wound' of Iraq War?

of serious wounds than in those from previous conflicts in that the docs are taken right to battle sites minimizing the number of fatalities caused by treatment delays. It will likely give a false impression that this war is worse than others when we see the severity of the damage coming home. But, most will not know that these wounds have always been there but far fewer survived. I suspect there will be debate over whether it's worthwhile to attempt to salvage some of these peoples lives.

Collapse -
"many more survivors"

In reply to: You'll also find many more survivors

No doubt, Steve.
Don't know Dave's purpose in posting; mine would have been to show black humor in attempting to 'improve' warfare. Body armor great if you need it; every good intention and mucho technology went into it; look at the unintended results.

And I was serious about 'wound, don't kill.' Ties up field corpsman, field hospital, evac aircraft, medical resources in Germany, immediate effect on morale of nearby soldiers, continuing effect on morale of family, filling hole in front line, recuperating stateside, protheses a/r, disability pay or retraining cost. Brain damage usually adds more time and money to the last three.

Here's my suggestion: Eliminate warfare. Any takers?

Collapse -
Eliminate warfare

In reply to: "many more survivors"

But what about the defense industry?

Collapse -
yea thats good

In reply to: Eliminate warfare

elinate terrorists. and such and let the un do its job, oh wait they try they just dont have balls.

Collapse -
Don't need the UN.

In reply to: yea thats good

"Jehovah is a manly person of war. Jehovah is his name. Pharaoh's chariots and his military forces he has cast into the sea, And the choice of his warriors have been sunk in the Red Sea." (Ex 15:3,4)
"and they go forth to the kings of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty ... And they gathered them together to the place that is called in Hebrew Har-Magedon." (Re 16:14-16)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) fiction isnt whats needed

In reply to: Don't need the UN.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: what about defense industry? - And preemption?

Collapse -
Drat! The bible doesn't mention "preemption"

In reply to: (NT) Re: what about defense industry? - And preemption?

I guess you've outfoxed God ...

...and will have to keep the status quo. Watch your back, and keep your powder dry. Happy

Collapse -
No, but our President does.

In reply to: Drat! The bible doesn't mention "preemption"

Funny how the "Christian Right" finds him such a sterling example of Christian values, eh, Doug?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
What I find funny, Dave...

In reply to: No, but our President does.

Dave, what I find funny is that you don't constantly make references to the strong religious beliefs of Jimmy Carter when discussing him. Why is that?

Collapse -
BTW I'm out of touch on some things.

In reply to: (NT) Re: what about defense industry? - And preemption?

Did that mean "preemptive strike" or some such? I was being literal in my little joke, but of course only one preemptive strike can occur under 'Article Dan.2.44' of Jehovah's constitution and future ones would be obviated by 'Article Ps.37.29.' Many of the 'Christian Right' forget that when playing their little chess games with global politics.

And if you mean counterattacking in Iraq when attacked by Saudi Arabians, that's just American Geographical Understanding at work. Happy (You should hear my 9th-graders!)
Regards, Doug somewhere in some country.

Collapse -
We would have to be satisfied with this:

"And they will actually sit, each one under his vine and under his fig tree, and there will be no one making [them] tremble; for the very mouth of Jehovah of armies has spoken [it]." (Mic 4:4)
"But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." (Ps 37:11)
"For Jehovah is a lover of justice, And he will not leave his loyal ones. To time indefinite they will certainly be guarded; But as for the offspring of the wicked ones, they will indeed be cut off. The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it." (Ps 37:28-29)

Would that work for you?

Collapse -
My own black humor

In reply to: "many more survivors"

The basic strategy of warfare is to remove the enemies ability or willingness to fight. We target their munitions and other weapons. The soldier is not the weapon so human loss is just so much collateral damage, I could suppose. To end war it would be necessary to eliminate all forms of weaponry...beginning with modern high-tech killing machines and moving right along until there were no more sticks and rocks either...just bare knuckles. Hopefully, that would take care of the "willingness" part.

Collapse -
"To end war"

In reply to: My own black humor

it would be necessary to eliminate all forms of weaponry
"He is making wars to cease to the extremity of the earth. The bow he breaks apart and does cut the spear in pieces; The wagons he burns in the fire." (Ps 46:9)
"And he will certainly render judgment among the nations and set matters straight respecting many peoples. And they will have to. beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears." (Isa 2:4)

Hopefully, that would take care of the "willingness" part.
"Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore." (Isa 2:4)
"And many peoples will certainly go and say: "Come, YOU people, and let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will instruct us about his ways, and we will walk in his paths." (Isa 2:3)

"Because he has set a day in which he purposes to judge the inhabited earth in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and he has furnished a guarantee to all men in that he has resurrected him from the dead." (Ac 17:31)
Then Jesus said to him: "Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword." (Mt 26:52)

Would that work?
Collapse -
You said.". Would that work?"

In reply to: "To end war"

I'll say...
No doubt about it....Who's gonna get who to go first?

Collapse -
The learning comes first.

In reply to: You said.". Would that work?"

"neither will they learn war anymore" (Isa 2:4)
"let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will instruct us about his ways" (Isa 2:3)
Jesus, in turn, answered them and said: "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me." (Joh 7:16)

Would that work for you.?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And until "judgement day"?

In reply to: The learning comes first.

Collapse -
Until then we wait patiently

In reply to: (NT) And until "judgement day"?

for Ps 37:28, studying Jehovah's ways as above.
Therefore about six million of your fellow humans will not be combatants in whatever battles your fellow highly-evolved cook up. Therefore somewhat fewer civilian women will be raped, somewhat fewer villages will be razed, somewhat fewer parents will be bereaved, somewhat fewer disabling head wounds will occur ...
Not much, of course.

You're welcome to join us; no different from going to citizenship school to emigrate to a new country. Jehovah has territory, statutes, an army, subjects, government officials, privileges of citizenship, language, rules of the road, just like any national leader you know now. There is a time limit, though: Isa 55:6,7.
Good 'open house' opp coming up on 3/24, BTW.

It's easy to scoff, but if everyone. did that ...

A technical point: I understand your "judgement day" reference, but the actual end of war comes at Rev 14:14,16; the famous "Armageddon." Judgment Day is another thing.

Collapse -
The best thing to emerge out of this war so far is the

In reply to: You'll also find many more survivors

extraordinary response of battlefield doctors and the quickness of med-evac to advanced portable medical facilities set up for coalition troops. This is an enormous step forward and accounts for the surprisingly low death toll on the coalition side. I may be a critic but this is a success I happily celebrate.

If the same is true of the changes in the Middle East, Syria out of Lebanon, meaningful elections in a number of ME countries in the next 5 years, etc. I will happily send George Bush a personal apology.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) start writing

In reply to: The best thing to emerge out of this war so far is the

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) <joke> Start writing or you'll what? </joke>

In reply to: (NT) start writing

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.