Mac Desktops forum

Question

trash says 100,000 when emptying

by movermichael / April 8, 2012 2:44 AM PDT

i have an iMac7, circa 2009, w/ Snow Leopard, Ver 10.6.8. I am booting from ext drive due to corrupt int HD, but its been this way for a year, so i don't think its germain to my problem. My trash says it contains 300 items, with all dir's expanded. when i try to empty it, it counts and counts, so far to over 100,000 items. i Abend it, because i dont know what its trying to delete. i have 3 drives on this system, the corrupt int, (which can be accessed but not booted from) and 2 USB, both bootable w/ the same system on them. I was wondered it its accessing the trash from another drive, cause i deleted items from them, but they were empty directories. Any helper will be blessed...Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: trash says 100,000 when emptying
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: trash says 100,000 when emptying
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just let it do the deleting and be done with it.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 4:21 AM PDT

One wonders why you have an internal drive that is not bootable but still appears to function.
Why have you not fixed that problem by re-installing Snow Leopard on to the drive?
Your data will still be there as only the System would be replaced.

P

Collapse -
just do it?
by movermichael / April 8, 2012 5:02 AM PDT

i may have to delete it if i cannot get anyone with a better idea...as to my Int HD, it will not accept a new system, and Disk Util says it's N/G. I also tried Carbon Copy from a good Ext to my Int, but that didn't fly,either...

Collapse -
And what is wrong with the suggestion that,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: just do it?

you let the delete follow its course?

What does N/G mean?

P

Collapse -
what is wrong?
by movermichael / April 8, 2012 11:11 AM PDT

one of my disks has some semi-important data on it, and i'd hate to lose it. beside, if i only have 300 items in my Trash, and the system counts up past 100,000, what is it counting? aren't you curious? I am. it would be Blind Faith (not the band) to Just Do It,No? (which i'll do in awhile prob, and to hell with it...)

N/G=no good

Collapse -
Remove the "semi-important data" to an external drive
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: what is wrong?

and fix the internal.

you may only be able to "see" 300 items but the system knows of other stuff.

I would have no concern about what it is counting if I had taken the step of backing up my data, that, and I know, that anything in the trash can cannot be used by the system and is therefore redundant.

Still the choice is yours.

P

Collapse -
There's a saying.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: what is wrong?

"We only lose what we don't backup."

I'll add to that. "I have no less than 3 copies of what I can't lose."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!