Mac OS forum

General discussion

Trash behavior is now strange

by WorldWar24 / August 12, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

Running 10.6.4 on a 27" iMac 3.06 GHz C2D.

I was irritated by sometimes not being able to empty items from my trash(message that file was in use when it wasn't). I found on a command for terminal(cd ~/.Trash && sudo rm -rf ) followed by directory/filename which allowed these pesky files to be deleted which worked great. I was showing my manager the trick I'd found and while doing so, it stopped deleting the files. Now when I put items in the trash I get a message 'Are you sure you want to delete "xxxx.yyy"? This item will be deleted immediately. You can't undo this action" instead of putting it in the trash.

The files I was trying to delete when I was doing my doomed demo will not delete even after a restart.

I did a fix permissions on my drive with Disk Utility which was no help in this regard.

Can someone tell me how to get my trash to function normally again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trash behavior is now strange
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trash behavior is now strange
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you do a 'Repair Disk' in 'Disk Utility'?
by rlcato / August 14, 2010 6:35 PM PDT

Just follow the directions. (You may need the original disk for repairs.) Anyway, as to what I can remember, if you ARE having trouble deleting files, you would need to restart, then when you see your entire desktop, hold down the shift key (I think) when emptying the Trash.

Collapse -
It's the 'Option' key.
by rlcato / August 14, 2010 7:46 PM PDT

You can also try this free utility from 'MacUpdate':

That terminal command turned out to be very risky: you run the risk of deleting your entire hard drive.
This is what I pulled off the Apple forums:
cd /Users/yourusername/.Trash/
sudo rm -r *

You will, of course, need to replace the 'yourusername' part with your user name (whatever appears next to the house icon in the sidebar of a Finder window). However, you need to be extremely cautious with the rm command, especially combined with sudo! That's a command that can wipe your whole drive. Thus, I put in the 'ls' (that's an L, not an i) command. It should show you a list of the things you've got in the trash. If it doesn't, you aren't in the right directory and will be deleting the wrong stuff if you do the 'sudo rm'.

Collapse -
RE: Trash behavior is now strange
by WorldWar24 / August 16, 2010 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: It's the 'Option' key.

Thank you both for the advice. I booted up off the 10.6.2 install DVD that came with this machine and ran a Disk Repair and also Permissions Repair on my normal Start-up volume with Disk Utility. Same condition persists however after restart. Nothing will actually go into the trash anymore. If I try to place something in the trash I get the message I was getting before "'Are you sure you want to delete 'filename.suffix'? This item will be deleted immediately. You can't undo this action". This is just like the message one would get if deleting a file from an SMB share(which I have seen routinely) or XSan share(which I have read about). Both external disks accessed over a network though. I can bypass this warning and delete immediately by holding down the Option Key while trying to put the item in the trash, but can't get the item to go into the trash and stay there as is the normal trash behavior.

Not a show stopper or anything. More of an irritation as its no longer 'normal' functionality. I was hoping there was some sort of preference file I could delete and have it work normally after the file regenerated itself.

Collapse -
I've just found this on the Apple forums.
by rlcato / August 16, 2010 1:53 AM PDT

A person was having a similar problem as you...

Click on the item in the Finder's sidebar with the house icon and verify that you are able to write to this folder in the Ownership & Permissions section of the Get Info window, and that it isn't locked; if it is already set this way and you get that error, open the Terminal in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and run the following:

mkdir ~/.Trash

If you get a message stating that the folder exists, run the following:

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash
chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

The first command in the second set will prompt you for your administrator password; nothing will appear in the Terminal window while it is being typed. In either case, click on the Finder icon in the Dock with the Control and Option keys pressed, and relaunch it.

Hope it works.

Collapse -
Thank you kindly
by WorldWar24 / August 16, 2010 2:10 AM PDT

The info window for my home directory had '_unknown' as user having read/write permission. Since I am the sole user with the only account, I added 'Administrator' and gave it read/write perms as well. Thought that was strange, but pushed on and the <<mkdir ~/.Trash>> command worked. I guess I had actually deleted my Trash directory so the files had nowhere to go but completely gone. Many thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Now you can try that MacUpdate I posted earlier.
by rlcato / August 16, 2010 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you kindly
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?