HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Transporting AVG

by Cletus / June 4, 2004 11:04 PM PDT

I have a friend who needs an anti-virus program, but she has a very slow dial-up connection. I would like to download AVG to my computer, burn a CD and install it on her computer.

Will this work given that the serial number necessary to install AVG is a variable dependent on the agreement data, the email address or something else in the sign-up process?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transporting AVG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transporting AVG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Transporting AVG
by glenn30 / June 4, 2004 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Transporting AVG

Cletus,

You did not mention the version of AVG. If downloading AVG 6 Free, I see no problem with the procedure. I am unfamiliar with AVG 7 (paid version) procedures and requirements.

I must say AVG 6 Free is installed on my computer and works great. Maybe your friend will be satisfied with this version.

Best of luck,

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
by Mark G / June 4, 2004 11:35 PM PDT

you can use same on free it wont matter serials the same on free

Collapse -
What my experiment showed
by Cletus / June 5, 2004 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Transporting AVG

I downloaded AVG 6 to this computer twice using different names, mail addresses and Email addresses.

The serial numbers I received to be used during the install were different which caused me to wonder if the AVG program was somehow tied to a particular person or email address and thus would not be transportable to a different persons computer---

Collapse -
Re:What my experiment showed
by Mark G / June 5, 2004 10:03 PM PDT

well all i know is i work in a computer shop, i have avg burnt on a cd, i use same serial #s on all never stops me and the clients happy

Collapse -
AVG Free edition - License agreement
by Kees Bakker / June 6, 2004 12:49 AM PDT

An extract from the AVF Free Edition License agreement you agreed to before downloading the copy you burned to CD:

2. You may install and use only one copy of the Software for single home or non-commercial organization computer protection only, irrespective of the number of times you download the Software or the number of licenses you purport to accept.

3. You may not use the Software on a network or more than one PC.

Your doings clearly contradict this agreement. Decent computer shops shouldn't do such, in my opinion. A decent computer shop should offer its clients the choice of (a) paying for a licence for AVG 7.0 (or any other reputable anti-virus program) or (b) downloading and installing free AVG or Avast themselves. It isn't that difficult, is it?
Do you install Windows XP the same way?

Kees

Collapse -
Re:AVG Free edition - License agreement
by Mark G / June 6, 2004 12:13 PM PDT

and a Decent shop will put on a free copy, only an Indecent one wouldn't, what shop would you rather use?
and if i put the persons email Addy in setup wheres the problem?
or are you working for avg?
and its better we put an anti virus on puter or would you rather leave unprotected?
as ms has changed opinion Ive seen as to updates for pirated xp?

and as to xp i sell legal copy's and install all critical updates on the system i sell including avg free with there email Addy.

and as to serial numbers Ive used same and if it wasn't the right one why does it work on a new install in peoples homes?
so please dont be so jealous and like some :copy righted issues youve had with others"

Collapse -
by redwood39 / June 5, 2004 10:30 AM PDT

I made a disc and installed it on 2 different laptops using the same s/n it works.

Collapse -
by Cletus / June 6, 2004 5:08 AM PDT

Thanks to all for the inputs.

My friend is an 84 year old lady with almost zero knowledge of computers and who really needs an anti-virus program before a baddie sneaks in and devours her Win98 and AOL setup.

If it works, I can see no harm in handcarrying her a copy of AVG rather than spending God knows how long downloading it at 26KB from her computer.

Thanks again---

Collapse -
Good job!! :)
by glenn30 / June 6, 2004 5:35 AM PDT

Cletus,

Glad you could work this out! Fix that lady up... try to download in her name with her serial number. That way you are only doing her a favor by doing the leg work for her. Congrats on taking care of your friend.

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Transporting AVG
by dawillie / June 6, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

once you have installed AVG, go to settings and change the scheduler to look for updates daily.

You should also get her email address and come here once a day at least to check to see what has been updated.

the Updates are all in the same thread and AVG is usually the first to be noted.

once you have determined that there is an update inform your friend so she can update her PC as well.

Collapse -
cletus thats the right thing to do never mind our holly roller(
by Mark G / June 6, 2004 12:14 PM PDT

and several of my customers have paid for the pro version after they used the free Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.