Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Translating word perfect file extension into Appleworks 6

by thueo / May 24, 2006 6:43 AM PDT

In trying to transfer documents and such from Windows Millenium using Corel Word Perfect to AppleWorks 6 on my mini mac, I have no way to get from .wpd to .ckw, for example. Is there some free method of doing so?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Translating word perfect file extension into Appleworks 6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Translating word perfect file extension into Appleworks 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Conversion
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 6:54 AM PDT

Try this:
Open AppleWorks and then go to the File menu and choose Open.
Navigate to the place where the .WPD file is.
Set the AppleWorks open file dialoge box to look at ALL Files. (not just Appleworks files)
The .wpd file should be available for you to choose.
Do so and click Open. See what happens. It "may" work, AppleWorks sometimes surprises us.
Another method is to use the trial version of Word that is on your Mac Mini to open the documents and to save them in .rtf format. Any word processor will open that type of file.
Just changing the extension will NOT help you, but you already knew that.

Let us know how you get on

Good luck

P

Collapse -
Another way
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Conversion

Go back to the ME machine and open the docs with Word Perfect.
Then save them using Save As...
Choose the type of file as RTF (Rich Text Format) and you will find that any Word Processor will open them.

Hope this helps you

P

Collapse -
Appleworks 6
by sparkle_shiv / February 18, 2009 7:16 PM PST
In reply to: Another way

I recently created a document on Appleworks 6 and every time I made a change, I saved it. After I had finished it, I closed it as normal. However, when I returned to it later on, the document was there but the text wasn't, the page was completely blank. I thought that maybe the font colour had changed to white so I tried to Select-All and change it to black but it didn't react. This is the first time something like this has happened so if you have any suggestions on how to solve this problem please let me know a.s.a.p.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.