The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Transformers was AWESOME!!!

by robstak / July 3, 2007 4:08 PM PDT

Go see it. Right now. Even if you didnt watch them growing up. I thought it would be great, but it far exceeded my expectations. I hope a new franchise is born!
-karl Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transformers was AWESOME!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transformers was AWESOME!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ditto
by Darayz / July 4, 2007 12:56 AM PDT

And if all that next-gen CG doesn't get you. The old school transforming sound effects will bring out the kid in you. My only complaint is that it's not being shown on Imax in New York. Is this happening everywhere as well?

Collapse -
Woo
by surfpark / July 4, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

I listened to the Slate Spoiler Special podcast for Transformers (because I'm the kind of person that likes reading the last page in a book first) and the plot sounds kind of silly. I bet its a great popcorn movie though. There were rumors about the robots having moving lips. Any truth in that?

Collapse -
yea moving lips. cg is pretty insane!
by robstak / July 4, 2007 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Woo

plot was kinda hokey, but the script, action and cg more than make up for it, imho.
-karl

Collapse -
A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!
by shawnlin / July 7, 2007 11:40 AM PDT

I just saw it...a few thoughts

1) AWESOME - I LOVED IT!
2) Sometime I was trying to convert the live action movie into a cartoon version because the acting and script was pretty hokey...
3) God bless Optimus Prime's Energon Blade...
4) I can't look at vehicles the same anymore Happy ...If my Jeep were a Transformer, would it be an Autobot, Decepticon; would it have special skills, like music, etc. Wink
5) Where can I get a "What Would Optimus Prime Do?" bumper sticker? Happy ...seriously...
6) What is the ETA on a live action Robotech movie using the awesome CG from this movie...
7) Decent job keeping it kid friendly while still using "grown-up" language - they didn't dumb things down as much as they could have. I think it shows they kept a twin focus audience: a) the now grown-up Transformer fans and b) kids ages 5-12...
Cool Frenzy does a great job at what it is designed for - ***** that it is... He reminded me of Sebulba from Star Wars Ep.1..
9) I think the transformations from vehicle<-->robot were very intricate and cool...I don't think they needed to be THAT intricate though - 10-20% less would have been fine with me...

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
Definitely trying to appeal to all ages
by MacLover55 / July 7, 2007 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!

I recently saw the movie, and there is serenely adult language, but nothing too excessive. I thought the movie was alright (Because I am not a big fan of Transformers), but it definitely not boring even thought it is 2 and 1/2 hours long.

Collapse -
ya know I *never* looked at my watch this movie...
by shawnlin / July 7, 2007 4:55 PM PDT

probably because there was non-stop action...

Collapse -
It was mega
by thriftyT / July 7, 2007 11:53 PM PDT

It really was better than expected. I literally was sitting there in the theater and smiling dumbly with glee thinking it was so cool...and knowing my buddies were thinking the exact same thing.

confession: I think I have a guy crush on Bumblebee. =)

Collapse -
confession understood...
by shawnlin / July 8, 2007 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: It was mega

Bumblebee did his job and never quit. Great guy/Autobot...

Collapse -
Transformers movie
by monmon29 / July 8, 2007 10:43 AM PDT

They should've called it by another name. He doesn't look like Optimus prime to me and most fans. Bumble bee is very much different too.

I know, I know, it's the advent of new technology and we should all step up the band wagon. But really, they've overdone it this time that you can hardly recognize the identity of the franchise! It's should've been called by another name. To me, it's another big robots movie, but in identity, there's not much "Transformers" here other than the fact that they can transform into robots and into something cool, like a car or a jet. Oh yeah, of course, the names.

I've really looked forward to this movie, but got very disappointed. Oh, no don't get me wrong, this would be a great experience for those who didn't know the original Transformers series, especially the kids.

It's like changing everything, it's like they made a movie adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood, but then she's wearing a blue dress.

I'm just really sad about it. It would've been very cool. I feel that producers will never get the point that the look and feel of a movie adaptation should be in harmony with the original. I'm sure there are a lot of fans who watched in the 80s, now if they're gonna see this movie, they'll think "OMG! They've turned Optimus Prime into a Hollywood Robot! That's horrible!"

Again, I am not saying that it's a totally bad movie. It's just not what most fans expected.

Collapse -
parallel to X-Men?... Mass appeal and selling out?
by robstak / July 9, 2007 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Transformers movie

I think that was similar to the buzz surrounding X-Men: die-hard comic fans were disappointed with the portrayals and plot inconsistencies, but overall the movies are received well.

And maybe by going for mass-appeal, they may also turn off old fans because now they are "selling out" to a larger audience. Valid point, I think.

My take on the situation, as a casual geek movie enthusiest, is this: big studios are remaking childhood classics. These aren't indie tribute films; and while the plots and certain details may be innaccurate, I think on the whole it's good for the franchise/comic/ whatever, because now more ppl know about it and like it.

I'm from the school that just because everyone knows about something or thinks its cool, that it can still be cool to me.

I in no way am trying to knock on your post, I think you have perfectly valid points, but I think there's another side to this as well.

anyway, just playin devil's advocate :-P
Cheers!
-Karl

Collapse -
not xmen
by isaac.johnson / July 9, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

im a trekky at heart, dont get me wrong, stewart is a fav. but x-men got _real_ hokey at the end.

i appreciated the subtle humor in this movie more than the effects. Yes, the effects were very Michael Bay but you could see the effect Spielberg had on it (who i noticed co-produced when the credits rolled).

I dont want to give spoilers, but to speak in vaguaties - bumble bees method of communicating, the scene at the car dealership, and i was LOL when the kid was searching for that object in his room at night and they were on the lawn.

isaac,

Collapse -
BumbleBee and Autobots
by jimgleeson / July 9, 2007 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: not xmen

I thought the Transformers movie rocked. I liked the effects, I liked the humor. Interestingly this movie and Bumblebees mode of communication got me to thinking about the movie Christine that was a Plymouth fury that communicated in a similar method. Was Christine in fact a Transformer that simply went completely Psycho?

Collapse -
RE: parallel to X-Men? ... Mass appeal and selling out?
by monmon29 / July 9, 2007 2:44 PM PDT

@Karl
Oh, no offense taken. I know it is in itself a good movie experience for non-purists. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) ;-)
by robstak / July 9, 2007 9:54 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?