Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Transferring videos to iPod video

by hezbulgravy / November 10, 2005 12:17 AM PST

Hey,I just bought an iPod video and am having trouble getting videos onto the actual iPod. iTunes wouldn't recognize .avi files when I tried to add them to my video collection, so I converted them to mpeg files using winMPG convereter. This worked, however, when I go to add these videos to my iPod using the drag and drop method in iTunes, I get a message saying that the audio format is incompatible. Is there a way I can get these videos onto my iPod? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring videos to iPod video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring videos to iPod video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
videora ipod conveter should do it
by bullet_smith92 / November 10, 2005 7:16 AM PST

go to this link and follow the instuctions:
(www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/guides.html#1000)
just follow these steps and you can put a dvd, or any type of video to your ipod.

Collapse -
if u r at cnet , help is at hand always
by kumar007 / November 10, 2005 10:23 AM PST

The main page at Cnet,com has an article my jasmine france about how to convert your videos into ipod playable form.She says:

there r 3 steps

1) Download AVS Video Converter.
You can try out the Windows-only Video Converter for free, but a watermark will appear throughout your video. If you're serious about converting video, purchase the program for $29.95; the variety of supported file formats makes it worth it.

2) Launch AVS Video Converter.

3) Select output file type.
Click the To MOV button along the top of the interface. When creating a video for the iPod, always select the QuickTime file format (MOV).

4) Choose video file.
Click the uppermost Browse button on the right. Navigate to the location where you keep your video files, and select the video that you would like to convert. Click Open.

5)Select the output location.
Click the bottom Browse button on the right. Choose the location where you would like to save your converted video file. Click Save.

6) Adjust the settings.
Click the Edit Profile button on the right and fill in the following information:
Name: QuickTime--for iPod
Description: Video: MPEG-4, FrameRate: 30 fps, Frame Size: 320x240, Audio: AAC LC - 128, 44100, Stereo
Comment: (optional)
Video Format: MPEG-4--high quality
Frame size: 320x240
Audio Format: MP2/4(AAC LC) 128Kbps
File Type: MOV
Framerate: 30fps
Width: 320
Height: 240
Frequency: 44,100Hz
Channels: Stereo

7)Convert video.
Click Convert Now and step away from the computer (processor performance will be seriously affected during conversion). If you want to watch the progress while you convert, click the Advanced button until the viewing screen pops out of the bottom.

Note: AVS converted our original 22-minute MPEG-4 file at a rate slightly faster than real time on an Intel 2.8GHz P4 system with 1GB of RAM. Our source file was 224MB, and our resulting iPod-compatible file was 199MB.

8)Transfer video to the iPod.
Open Apple iTunes 6 and drag the newly converted video file to the library window. If you have selected ''Automatically update all videos'' for the video preferences for your iPod, the new video will automatically transfer when you connect the player. If you have selected ''Automatically update the selected playlists only,'' make sure that you drag the new video to one of the selected playlists.

Note: You'll probably want to update the information of the video when you move it to the iTunes library. To do this, select Videos from the left-hand column and go to list view. Then, click the file for which you want to edit info and select Get Info from the File menu (or simply right-click). You can edit the boxes found under the Info tab.

hope it helps

Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by hezbulgravy / November 10, 2005 12:26 PM PST

Thanks for the help, guys, but I think you misunderstood me. I have the movie files in my iTunes library under the Video heading. They are MPEG's, but iTunes seems to recognize MPEG's just fine, not like .avi's. When I go to drag and drop the movie from the video section to the iPod section, it gives me a message that the song could not be copied (Even though it's a movie). Would converting the files to Quicktime help? Thanks alot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?