Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Transferring video from a minidv

by racingboy20 / January 19, 2006 11:45 AM PST

Hi, I was just wondering if its possible to transfer MiniDV video through a USB cable or do you have to have a firewire? I have JVC GR-D270U miniDV camera.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring video from a minidv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring video from a minidv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB cable or do you have to have a firewire?
by jcrobso / January 20, 2006 2:09 AM PST

Do you want it to work? Do you want you video to be high quality? If you answered yes, then use Firewire!!!
Firewire PCI cards $15~50, some come with the cable. John

http://www.timwerx.net/odds/pcfile.htm

Collapse -
Just wondering
by racingboy20 / January 20, 2006 3:28 AM PST

yes I plan on getting a firewire in the near future. but is it possible to transfer through a usb cable now, even if not high quality.

Collapse -
Few seem happy with the results.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Just wondering

Your choice.

Collapse -
Ok
by racingboy20 / January 20, 2006 3:35 AM PST

Its not a matter of being happy or not, I just want to know if I can do it. And If I can, how?

Collapse -
In short, use what came with the camera.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

This is how most learn why everyone forgets about USB.

Don't waste too much time there.

Bob

Collapse -
Alright
by racingboy20 / January 20, 2006 1:02 PM PST

Well my question was still never answered with a yes or no. I dont care about the small stuff such as bad quality or whatever, I just wanted to know IF I can do it, and if I can how. The camera came with no software to use for transferring video.

Collapse -
Then no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 1:18 PM PST
In reply to: Alright

Without the camera software, I hook up with firewire and transfer it with WINDV (google.com).

There is no standard transfer for USB.

Hope this answers your question.

Bob

Collapse -
by racingboy20 / January 21, 2006 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: Then no.
Collapse -
Half that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks :)
Collapse -
Thanks
by racingboy20 / January 21, 2006 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Half that?

Hey, Thanks a lot! Happy

Collapse -
JVC Mini Dv digital camera grd271us
by scizor flame / January 21, 2006 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Okay I am running a windows xp processer with a 120gig hard drive...I have a jvc mini dv digital camera...jvc customer support sucks(last time i ever buy a jvc product) Well my questions are:

What is the USB cord for, if it is just so i can get a firewire card to hook it up into then that is lame/useless since it should have came with it:S

What is the picture navigator for, can it do anything special, as in something photoshop can't do?

and is there any way the camera can be used as a webcame?

Collapse -
um..oops
by scizor flame / January 21, 2006 9:56 AM PST

earlier i was reading this thread, i meant to make my post as a whole new thread, i am honestly sorry, if i could i would delete it and start my own, i also appologize for the double posting...Please help me if you can though

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?