Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Transferring Video Cassette To DVD

by cathcart / February 16, 2004 3:12 AM PST

I am transferring old video cassettes onto DVD via my Panasonic E50 DVD Recorder. Playing the subsequent DVD I notice a constant hum whenever the recorded sound is at a low level ,which is not evident on the video cassette. Is this attributable to the type of disk I'm using ,ie lower price range?
Could someone also explain the relevance and difference between disks marked 2x, 4x etc?

Cathcart

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring Video Cassette To DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring Video Cassette To DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Transferring Video Cassette To DVD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 3:43 AM PST

1. Hum.

It's a nuisance item that gets picked up either by cables or AC lines or other. There is no "do-this" cure, but you find it by moving components, cables around and I find the best result is to keep the gear away from the TV which is spewing a rather large EM field.

2. 2x, 4x.

1X is 1 to 1 playback speed. In short, 2hours. A 2X DVD-R for example can be written to the brim in 1/2 the time or one-hour. Not applicable to real-time recording which is 1X.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Transferring Video Cassette To DVD
by jean trudeau / October 25, 2004 6:14 AM PDT

Hi Cathcart,

I had the same problem transferring old vinyl LP to MP3. What fixed the problem is that I unplugged my VCR from my audio source (the amplifier that was feading the sound to my computer) which took care of the problem.
Hope it helps, good luck,

Jean

Collapse -
Re: Transferring Video Cassette To DVD
by keithathome / October 26, 2004 12:15 PM PDT

Your problem could possibly be this:

Built-In Ground Loop Isolation?Why It Matters!
The INport doesn?t just give you awesome fidelity, it also includes a built in ground loop isolator to prevent annoying ground loops.

A ground loop occurs through differences in resistance in your home or apartment electrical wiring. When a computer or audio component is connected to your stereo, a path is provided for electricity to flow from one wall socket to another as the electrical system tries to balance itself. This can introduce a background hum into your recordings.

The INport has a built in ground loop isolator that works by breaking the earth between your computer and stereo to ensure no ground path exists for current from electrical imbalances to flow. This protects your equipment and stops annoying speaker hum. We?ve made the INport a total audiophile solution that backs up its amazing performance with the very best in ground loop protection!

I found this while looking for some way to transfer cassette tapes to pc, then turn them into cd's or mp3's. Is there another device to do this besides whats listed above?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!