Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Transferring vhs movies to dvd

by laundryman / July 9, 2004 12:18 PM PDT

I have about 500 vhs movies and would like to transfer them to dvd format before the quality gets any worse. What I am looking for is ideas for what hardware and software are best for home use. I have looked at the dazzle usb system and also looked at a pci card with channel selection - at this point I think the usb system is better ?

Comments and ideas are gratefully received

Doug

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring vhs movies to dvd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring vhs movies to dvd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Transferring vhs movies to dvd
by Merl Priester / July 9, 2004 12:58 PM PDT

Make sure you can return the system if it drops frames or the quality is not what you want.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2004 1:26 PM PDT

There are a few gotchas that will floor you. Before I reveal those, I will share that my old favorite USB Dazzle which is about the same of the model 150 is now replaced with a simple 50 buck TV card by Hauppauge.

1. The captures from commercial videos is likely to come out very odd due to Macrovision copy protection.

2. The capture from VHS works out to 1 to 1 hours for just the capture, about 15 minutes to one hour to clip off the beginning and end dead space, then from a few hours to a day for the dvd software to churn and burn the DVD. This will put some off.

Bob

Collapse -
by GraceSD / July 11, 2004 4:02 AM PDT

I bought the Dazzle package and was very dissappointed with it! Also, the company would not let me return it, so, I am stuck with it and it does not work. I bought a VHS/DVD Recorder Combination and transferred a lot of my VHS tapes onto DVD's. It works much better and it does a direct copy without having to convert this and convert that and all the stuff that takes way too long! Mine is a Sansui and I paid $349 at Sears. Works really well for an underdog brand.

Good luck!

Collapse -
What was the dissappointment?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2004 4:15 AM PDT

Many won't like the time it takes or that the PC has to be in top form.

For some, a box solution like the Sansui or HP DVD recorder may be better, but more expensive.

Bob

Collapse -
by glb613 / July 11, 2004 5:36 AM PDT

I have ADS Instant DVD 2.0 and it works well.

Collapse -
by jccole / July 14, 2004 1:43 AM PDT

I would be MOST interested in hearing more about your experience. What model, how do you set it up, etc? I have a Pinnacle system which is so laborious it isn't worth the effort. Thanks, Joe

Collapse -
Total agreement on the Pinnacle
by tcantrelln / July 14, 2004 3:05 AM PDT

Mess- we have one at work and it has never worked-never, returned-replaced -messed about with- absolutely the most unusable non-solution ever experienced. Eventually bought the high end Sony DV cam with all bells and buzzers-finally able to do what we needed to do a year ago.

Collapse -
by TONI H / July 12, 2004 1:52 AM PDT

I've played around quite a bit with various pieces of hardware and what I've settled on has been the following:

VHS hooked up via SVCD hookup to a capture card. I've used Dazzle, wasn't happy that it didn't split the file during capture so I had to split it manually for VCD type burning...used ATI 9600 AIW and it also doesn't split the file and had to use a macrovision blocker/remover attached between the vcr and the ATI card...am now using the capture card that came with the Pinnacle AV/DV package and it works wonderfully without having the macrovision remover attached since it does it all by itself.

The Pinnacle programs captures well for the digital camera I have, however, it doesn't split the file either for vcr recording so I don't use it for much since it takes so much to capture clip by clip for editing later before burning.

I use Power VCR to capture with...it splits the file into 600MB pieces during capture, even for DVD format as well as VCD, and all as MPEG files rather than AVI type. You can start the movie after the initial credits and stop it at the end before the long ending credits appear....if you want to take the time to be in front of the monitor at the time since there is a large preview screen during capture...or you can edit them out later with a simple program called AVI-MPEG splitter.

I use two different programs for burning and they are both by EZCD Creator. I use version 5 for VCD since it will allow for overburn on a 700MB cd whereas version 6 does not. If you have two files that total under 780MB, you can put both files on one cd during the burn process with version 5. I use version 6 for DVD types and can fit up to seven 600MB pieces on one DVD and end up with only one or possibly two burned media. However...if you have a downloaded AVI type (not condoning or condemning), version 6 UPGRADE installed will detect that it is a copyrighted program (even for music cd copying from your cd) and will give you an error message that the files are in the wrong format and won't burn. In order to use EZCD 6, you cannot download and install the updates for it from Roxio since the updates are coded to recognize that you are trying to copy your music cd (or downloaded AVI movies) and still stop you cold without telling you why you can't burn them.

One of the ways to get around that, too, is to either convert the downloaded file to MPEG (somehow this stops the error) or use a free cd ripper program called CDEX.EXE to rip your music cd to the harddrive and then burn from there instead.

TONI

Collapse -
I had discussed some of this in detail,
by Ray Harinec / July 12, 2004 5:03 AM PDT

with Toni some time ago, by email and telephone. She said that she used SVCD connection. Actually should have been S-video. No need to have a TV tuner or anything else involved. The best way to get a VHS player with S-Video out is to buy one of the Super VHS machines. They play regular VHS tapes and have S-Video output [better quality than the other interfaces]. You won't find them in stores anymore but you can find them via internet buys [new equipment]. Use Google to search for them if you want that simple connection

Collapse -
by olympiamike / July 12, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

I just finished a similiar sized project. I use the ADS Pyro A/V Link (mine is firewire but I believe they also have a USB 2.0 model) and Sonic MyDVD software which came
with my computer. Took a lot of time as it is a one for one transfer, but the results were good. Have fun!

Collapse -
I didn't find
by TONI H / July 12, 2004 5:46 AM PDT

the time taken to copy vhs tapes to the computer to be any longer than the normal amount that it takes to actually watch that tape on a tv screen start to finish. The burning took no more than about ten or fifteen minutes per media (vcd or dvd) since the PowerVCR program has already converted the file to mpeg during the capture as either VCD or DVD depending on what you chose.

TONI

Collapse -
by chasing_03 / July 12, 2004 8:59 AM PDT

Checkout www.dvdrhelp.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?