Cameras forum

General discussion

Transferring pictures from older digital camera to newer.

by NIN_77 / February 1, 2009 4:07 AM PST

I have some pictures, which were taken with a Powershot SD700 IS digit camera. Would like to transfer the pictures to a new model Powershot SD 950 IS.

Tried to transfer the pictures using Canon Camerawindow application. However pictures will not transfer to the Powershot SD 950 IS.

Can I, or how do I transfer photo's from a older digit camera to a newer model. Please help!

Thanks,
~M

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring pictures from older digital camera to newer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring pictures from older digital camera to newer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Transferring pictures
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 4:49 AM PST

You cannot write to a camera through the USB cable.
The camera treats it as a one way street; from the camera to the computer.
The camera does not want any outside source to write to the camera.

If you have a card reader/writer, you can write to a memory card.

But, it is unlikely that the camera will see anything that you add to the card. When the camera writes to the card it also updates the FIB (file information block) on the card, so that it can keep track of the pictures it takes.

Also if you have ideas of taking a card from one camera and putting it in a different camera and taking more pictures to that card, you can get into trouble. Being two similar Canon cameras, it might work but I would suggest you make sure that you have a back up copy on the computer before trying it.

The proper way to reuse a memory card from a different camera is to copy all the files to your computer.
Then Format the card with the new camera before taking any pictures.
The Format will deleted all pictures on the card.

If you want to carry around pictures for others to see, I suggest you get a multimedia player.

Collapse -
Why would you...
by Papa Echo / February 1, 2009 10:18 PM PST

...want to do that ?
It seems that you are going about the wrong way to achieve somethng .... Unless your camera can be used as a mass storge device (i.e. like a hard disk) which requires the installation of the appropriate drivers supplied with the camera, picture files cannot be freely transfered "in camera"

Collapse -
My mom.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Why would you...

She's the type that will do that. She uses hers as a picture viewer and taker. With the 2GB card in the camera that's some 1000 pictures so it's a mom's idea of how to use this tech.

Oh the days with your 35mm and rolls of 27 shot film. We used to think before clicking. Now it's click, click, click...
Bob

Collapse -
Right-on Bob
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: My mom.

I would never even think about keeping all my pictures on one card.

But after hearing from people who want larger and larger capacity memory cards, it is apparent that many people do just that.

But the frightening thing is, many of these people do not have a copy of the pictures on their computer or saved to a CD.
Absolutely no back-up.

That sends shivers up my spine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!