Storage forum

General discussion

Transferring old HD files and data to a different computer

by denlog_1 / August 1, 2005 10:04 AM PDT

Does any one know how I can transfer the program files and data from my old 10g HD with XP home edition on it to a different PC with a 20g HD on it? The 20g HD presently has windows 2000 pro on it which I assume I will need to reformat. I have Norton ghost 9.0 if I was to plug the 10g HD to this computer would I be able to do a drive to drive transfer? Is it possible that XP being a newer OS than 2000 would have the MB drivers needed for this computer to reconize the old XP HD. Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring old HD files and data to a different computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring old HD files and data to a different computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can copy the entire drive
by Steven Haninger / August 2, 2005 10:54 AM PDT

It's quite possible to copy the entire drive from the 10 gig to the 20 with Ghost or other such software. As such, all data is intact. However, XP will not startup on the new hardware. You will need the original installation CD and will need to perform a "repair" installation. You will also need the product ID code and will be required to reactivate Windows. It's possible that XP will know much of your hardware but probably not all of it. Gather all the drivers first. This would also be a good time to visit the web sites of all your hardware manufacturers and get the latest drivers. Definately get the latest BIOS for the MB while you're at it. Good luck.

Collapse -
Clone disck software
by Noizxland / August 3, 2005 8:17 PM PDT

You know, I've never use Norton Ghost, but for certain I could tell you how I resolved such problem. When I bought new PC at first I wanted to keep my old HDD (as it has much needed data), but it was only 40Gb. So I after long searches I found clone disk software. It's the easiest and most convenient backup program. I just create an exact image of my HDD and make a bootable CD (due to highest level compression it takes not much space). And recover cloned HDD onto new PC automatically. If you'll use the same way, you needn't reinstall Windows and you'll automatically create pretty full backup of whole your system! Wink Only after restoring you'll have to download upgrades for new PC configuration.

Collapse -
Clone Disc CD
by denlog_1 / August 4, 2005 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Clone disck software

I'm not sure of how this would work. Do I need to reformat the HDD then start it with a bootable CD Then put in the clone cd and do a repair install? I'm confused? Thanks for any help!

Collapse -
Bootable CD
by Noizxland / August 4, 2005 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Clone Disc CD

As I know, Acronis bootable CD doesn't demand to format the HDD, as it installs clone over your old system, and if you format your HDD, nothing terrible will happen. Also it doesn't matter what is your new one HDD size, just it mustn't be smaller then your old one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!