General discussion

Transferring Office 2000 onto Windows 7

Hello Members,

I will be grateful for any help for my following problem:

I recently bought a HP 6310y which runs Windows 7. It has Office 2007 as a trial version which shall expire in 60 days.

My old computer(HP Pavilion 6736) runs on Windows XP and has Office 2000.

Is there a way I can copy the Office 2000 from my old computer to the new computer? I seem to have misplaced the back-up CD for this OS as that was a long time ago. The backup CD may have had the appropriate files for Office 2000.

I tried but was unable to locate the exact location of Office 2000 in my old computer. All I see is shortcuts.

Any recommendations/advise?

[PS: I tried OpenOffice but was not too happy with it. When I read online for possible issues with Office 2000/Windows 7, most of the issues were related to Outlook, which I do not use. Word,PowerPoint and Excel(all 2000) seemed to have less issues after deleting "Microsoft Live Air" on Windows 7]

Thank you!!
rent76

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Transferring Office 2000 onto Windows 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Transferring Office 2000 onto Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No... You can't

No... You can't migrate Office, it's designed to break if you try. And if Office 2000 came with your old computer, then the license lives and dies with that computer, you cannot move it (legally) to another system.

If it's a retail version, then 7 Pro's XP Mode would be about your only hope. So if you don't like OpenOffice, there's always Google's online tools, and I think Microsoft is working on an online version of Office. There's also WordPerfect Suite. Not sure if IBM is still selling their Lotus office suite anymore or not.

Other than that, the Home Office and Student version of Office 2007 is only like $200, which is reasonable enough IMO. I just wish the Windows Office developers could take a few lessons from the Mac Office developers on designing an interface. I have yet to see a single Windows app have anything even coming close to the simple, yet elegant, formatting pallet on Office for the Mac. But I digress.

Your options are few here. Either pay up for Office 2007, hope OpenOffice grows on you, or try one of the other options I mentioned. Personally, I'd go with OpenOffice. If nothing else, it's free, so it may have things about it you don't like, but you're not paying for it. All the online solutions are likely going to be too limited, and WordPerfect is very quirky. It can also do some things with ease that is an absolute nightmare with any other word processor. I have yet to see another word processor that has a feature to let you expand or shrink a document to a specific number of pages that you specify. Something WordPerfect has been doing since at least the Windows 3.1 days.

- Collapse -
No.

Since about 1995, Windows programs are designed to stop such moves. Your post is proof again this is true.

But about your Office 2000. Did you try the usual uninstall the trials and installing from your Office 2000 CD?
Bob

- Collapse -
If MS Office 2000 came with your HP

it would of been on separate CD's with a key code. If you purchased the HP at a regular store you most likely did not get it included with the computer but bought it separate which means you could use it on another computer as it would not say OEM it. You can not move apps like that unfortunately from one computer to another.

I have not had any problems installing 2000 on Windows 7 Premium. 2007 Home/Student can run as low as $129 on sale - rarely $99. Depending on your needs it maybe worth the purchase. IBM has Lotus Symphony for free, a revamp of OpenOffice that maybe worth a look see. Later this year MS is going to have a free ad supported version of Office included in it's Live offerings.

If you are currently using 2007 be sure to save your work in an older format so you can read them in other programs if you don't end up buying 2007. There is a converter available for older version of Office.

- Collapse -
Re: Transferring Office 2000 onto Windows 7

Hello All,

Thank you so much for the informative replies!!

From what I can tell, if I am not willing to get used to OpenOffice or any of the other offerings, I guess buying Office 2007 seems like the best option.

The retail from Microsoft is $149.99. On amazon, I found the following:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HCZ8EO?ie=UTF8&seller=A1X6FL2823Z0AF&sn=Online%20Surplus%20Store

Does any of you know if the above price is legit? If yes, what would be the difference in quality if I buy from amazon as opposed to Microsoft?

Kindly let me know if possible.

Thank you again!!
rent76

- Collapse -
It's good to be a student.

Some complain about that deal but since you're a student, all's good.

Be sure you don't get burned by that license.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re:It's good to be a student

Hello RProffitt,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not a student. I need it for home use. Mostly just Word/Excel/PowerPoint.

Could you a expand a little on, "burned by license"?

The regular Office 2007(Home and Student) sells on Amazon at $99. Just wondering if there are any compromises I am making if I am not buying from Microsoft($149)?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!
rent76

Th

Thanks a lot!!
rent76

- Collapse -
Let's read that license.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102103171033.aspx

There's a lot to read so here's the highlights.

"You may install one copy of the software on three
licensed devices in your household for use by people who reside there.
The software is not licensed for use in any commercial, non-profit, or
revenue-generating business activities."

Cool. THREE MACHINES in the home.

The rest looks fine. But if you use this for business, wrong version.
Bob

CNET Forums