General discussion

Transferring movies from laptop to tv

Nov 3, 2010 7:28AM PDT

I download movies to my laptop and watch them on my tv by connecting the HDMI cable from my TV to the laptop. Works perfectly but then I can't use my laptop while watching TV. Is there any other way to transfer a movie from laptop to tv besides the obvious (burning to DVD)? I don't have a DVD player.

I heard something about transfering images to a tv via some usb cable of some sort. I also heard that you can upload movies from laptop to your DVD player (depending on the brand). I don't have a DVD player but if I knew of one that did that where I just can just upload my movie from the laptop directly to the DVD player (without burning) then that would be great.

I know some dvd players will let you download movies directly from the net but I believe it is only through netflix or amazon. I don't believe I can go to random sites like I do on my laptop.

Any help would be appreciated. In summary I am asking if there is anyway for me to get movies from my laptop with burnign to DVD and without having my laptop hooked up to my tv while I watch the movie.

It wouldn't be so bad if my laptop had a remote but sony states there isn't a remote for my model. I'm a bit surprised at that. I hope they know what they are talking about.

Thanks!

NOTE: The DVIX play on my laptop has a button that says transfer video to equipment and tv is one option but I have no idea how to use it. Maybe I should look into it.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Transferring movies from laptop to tv
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Transferring movies from laptop to tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The problem is the videos you are showing
Nov 7, 2010 11:28PM PST

on the TV are actually running on the laptop. SO your running the video in some program like Media player or VLC. Some tv's have USB connections which is for looking at pictures. The problem is the tv is basically an output device and devices send to it to display the image.

- Collapse -
Okay so ...
Nov 8, 2010 9:04AM PST

in other words there is no way to do what I want to do except by burning to dvd right?

- Collapse -
Right now i don't think
Nov 10, 2010 2:30AM PST

they have the technology to do it. When I connect my pc to my receiver my whole screen shows on the tv. I can watch a movie in it's own window and open as many other windows that memory will allow.

- Collapse -
Remember the tv is an output device
Nov 10, 2010 2:32AM PST

only so if you have another device that handles the input that input will display on the TV.

- Collapse -
I can't use my laptop while watching TV?
Nov 24, 2010 12:00AM PST

hi,

there are many video players that allow you to play video on an external monitor in overlay mode, i.e. you may minimize a window with a player and continue working on your laptop. This is what i do on my PC anyway, and i use VLC media player.

Yeah, You may need to check your video card settings.

CNET Forums

Forum Info