General discussion

Transferring HDD contents between computers

Is there a method whereby I can transfer the complete contents of the HDD on my old desktop, including the OS (Windows XP), to my new notebook without re-installing all my applications from original media and data files from a back-up? That would be a big time pain, since many of the programs have been updated with patches and such, which obviously won't be on the CD versions. If there is a way, what would I need to do this; cable, software, etc?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Transferring HDD contents between computers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Transferring HDD contents between computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not a good idea.

The OS is tied to the machine. You can install in on the other and use something like http://www.alohabob.com/ to move the rest.

Bob

- Collapse -
Moving programs and data between machines.

Sorry, but I don't follow. Are you saying leave the OS on the new machine as installed by the OEM and then move all the applications and data files using this alohabob.com thing? For the OS, I'd just have to go to Windows Update to get the latest patches, I guess. Can you explain a bit more about this alohabob and how it works? I'll go there to check it out, but a little more info would be appreciated. The main thing I'm trying to avoid is re-installing all my applications from the original CDs and then having to update them all. On another thread here, I saw somrthing about a product called Intellimover. Do you know anything about that and how it works? Thanks!

- Collapse -
Yup.

That's how it works. XP is not happy to be copied to some hard disk and then booted on a new machine.

Alohabob's web site seemed clear to me so can you be more specific about what you didn't understand?

Intellimover is another such product. You can try that one too.

Bob

- Collapse -
Do the updates/patches instead.
- Collapse -
simple answer - no- read on for explanation

PCS gather junk as time goes by. Why move the junk from one pc to another?

I mean how many programs are we talking about here , 10...20 maybe? Then patches?

Do the installs clean, then migrate data. Your pc will thank you for it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info