Computer Help forum

General discussion

transferring hard drive from unstable old computer to new

by kannuc / December 2, 2008 10:09 PM PST

I purchased a new Acer desktop last year and put my ten year old garage build desktop in the garage. A couple of days ago, I tried to fire up the old computer to get a couple of files off the hard-drive but the computer was very unstable - flashing screen and very very slow. Without spending a ton of money, is there a way to connect the old hard drive to my new stable computer without making it unstable.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: transferring hard drive from unstable old computer to new
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: transferring hard drive from unstable old computer to new
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something like this?
by Kees Bakker / December 2, 2008 10:14 PM PST

www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0208

You'll find many other cables and cases that would work. This is just an example.

Kees

Collapse -
Direct connection
by Willy / December 2, 2008 11:12 PM PST

If you don't want to buy an adapter or similar, just install the old HD into new system. Follow the master/slave -OR- CS setup cabling. Once done and working get whatever data you require and upon finishing, remove old HD. You now use the old HD and install into an USB ext. case and have as a back-up. Or if you brought the ext. case and all is working, you now a back-up HD and/or extra capacity HD once wiped clean for such use.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
That's assuming
by Jimmy Greystone / December 2, 2008 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: Direct connection

That's assuming the new system has an IDE controller at all and isn't purely SATA. IDE has finally gotten to the point where it's being phased out like the floppy drive, so you can no longer count on there being an IDE controller on the motherboard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.