General discussion

Transferring Firefox profile from XP to Mac OS X

I use the latest version of Firefox on an XP machine. I want to transfer my Firefox bookmarks, profile, etc. to a machine running Mac OS 10.3

Are there any snags to look out for since Mac OS 10.3 is a somewhat older operating system?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Transferring Firefox profile from XP to Mac OS X
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Transferring Firefox profile from XP to Mac OS X
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The only possible issue

The only possible issue is that the latest version of Firefox may not support 10.3, you may have to use an older version which then doesn't support the new database based goodness of Firefox bookmarks and whatnot.

You'll need to figure out just what versions of Mac OS X are supported by what versions of Firefox. Ultimately I suppose it can't hurt to try moving your profile, but be prepared for the possibility that you'll just have to start fresh.

- Collapse -
Re: moving Firefox profile

The bookmarks are easy to export and import again. This should work across different machines.

Don't count on other elements of your profile: add-ons and their settings, cookies, history. Be prepared to reinstall add-ons and redo their settings.

I don't think you're interested in transferring the cache.

Kees

- Collapse -
Addons work fine

Addons work fine across platforms almost all the time. There are a few exceptions, like one that gives Firefox the Vista and 7 "glass" look, but that's about it.

When I shifted over to an iMac, I copied my Firefox profile over, extensions and all. Virtually all use Mozilla's XUL, which is an interface abstraction layer, providing cross platform portability. Of course my iMac is running 10.6, and the latest version of Firefox. I'm not sure if Firefox 3.6 is still supported on 10.3.

CNET Forums

Forum Info