Phones forum

General discussion

Transferring files to Motorola V551

by Rivoarivelo / April 5, 2006 10:12 AM PDT

Does anyone know any ways to get files (mainly MIDI and mp3 ringtones) from my computer to the cell phone? Motorola does offer a data cable for these purposes, but I don't want to spend the $40 or something for just a one or two time use item. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring files to Motorola V551
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring files to Motorola V551
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try ebay
by gnasher / April 6, 2006 8:54 PM PDT

I have a similar model (V550) and I bought my data cable off ebay for around

Collapse -
Go the bluetooth route
by artpoz / April 7, 2006 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: try ebay

I have a V551 and I use bluetooth to transfer all files. When I bought Motorola Phone Tools I bought it without the cable because I knew I wanted to use bluetooth instead. It works great. the thing is, if u want to transfer u either have 2 buy a cable or buy bluetooth. there is no way around it. Pick the one u want and live with it.

Collapse -
The software does it all
by russappraisal / April 6, 2006 11:12 PM PDT

I have a Cingular V551, the USB cable and the motorola software. It is worth the investment. You can both upload and download phone numbers, photos. videos, and MP3s. The software also gives you the ability to convert MP3's and CD music and cut and edit it to use as ringtones. It works on more than one V551 and several other motorola phones. The best part is being able to make your own ringtones and background images and download those photos you have taken with the phone's camera. With cingular, the cable and software do not work as a cellular modem without the additional service.

Collapse -
Software
by TameBeast / May 27, 2006 4:07 PM PDT

Since I'm still learning.....essentially, what you're saying is, each phone has it's own program a person would have to purchase?

I have 4 phones in Cingular with my plan. I have a Motorola v551 and my daughter has a Sony Ericsson Z520a. I think it's robbery that a person has to purchase a program for each type of phone. (Each USB is shaped differently also).

On top of that, when I bought my Motorola they said all I'd need was the USB, so I bought it. Then I after I found a terrific program to do custom ringtones I discovered I still had to buy a program to recognize the phone from the pc.

I've just spent the last 2 full days trying to figure out why the PC recognizes the hardware but I can't download my custom mp3 ringtones from songs I have.

THEN I discover I have to get the drivers for the phone. At the Motorola site? Hell no! I had to go to 15,000 forums and 83 websites to find a zip file for the drivers.

NOBODY HAD THEM!

My son has a Sony Ericsson (can't remember what type). His cell came with the software but my daughter's did not.

Bottom line: if you're going to purchase a phone soon, and you want mp3s and/or ringtones, find out if the phone has software in the box; otherwise, you'll want to head for the local tavern and forget it all!

Collapse -
download/to transfer pics from MotoV551to computer
by westsidecutie / December 15, 2006 9:08 AM PST

Does anyone know where to find the file which allows someone to transfer photos taken on the Motorola V551 camerphone to a PC. I searched and found a file which never works. Can anyone help????
madelyn-cutewestsidelady@aol

Collapse -
Mac users can just use the built-in Bluetooth.
by krioni--2008 / April 7, 2006 12:31 AM PDT

The Bluetooth utility found on Macs in the Applications/Utilities/ folder can transfer songs (to use as ring-tones), images, java apps, etc. I've got a V551 and downloaded some java games built for J2ME to my computer, then used the utility to send them with no cables to my V551.

Collapse -
half dead v551
by calgarysanta / August 1, 2008 1:36 AM PDT

do you know how to access the address book on a v551 when the screen is broken and you have no display?

Collapse -
another half dead v551
by CPiza54 / August 16, 2008 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: half dead v551

I am in the same boat. All my phone numbers are stored on the phone, not the card. I just ordered a USB data transfer cable to see if that will work. If not, my next step will be to borrow a similar phone from a friend of mine and mimic all of the steps needed to set up the bluetooth capability. My PC can see the phone, but cannot sync with it until I set up a code. If you find a better way, please post!

Collapse -
screen broke on V551
by tiffanyaclark1 / February 8, 2009 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: another half dead v551

The same thing happened to me and I am trying to find step by step insturctions to be able to connect the bluetooth to my computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?