Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Transferring Files to a Parallel Installation of XP

Hi,
I have just re-installed windows XP Home on my laptop having been advised to do so by the manufactuer due to Windows not loading when the machine was turned on. The re-installation went tickity boo apart from the fact that I've managed to install a parallel version instead of creating the new installation as the only one on my hard disk. This means that of the 80GB on my hard drive, 35 is taken up with the previous Windows which is still there and all the files that were contained within it.

I would like to be able to boot to this new and uncorrupted version of Windows but have most of the files which were contained in the old one. Basically, transfer from the old to the new. I'm quite happy to re-install programs and stuff but the thing is, from my 'new' desktop which contains absolutely nothing, I can't get them in the add/remove programs list to do so. I could go in through explorer but from what I know just deleting things isn't a great idea.

Can anyone tell me how to get the old windows into the new?

Many Thanks from a stressed out old fart who could do without the hassle of his own stupidity.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring Files to a Parallel Installation of XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring Files to a Parallel Installation of XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Files = ABSOLUTELY! Programs = no.

In reply to: Transferring Files to a Parallel Installation of XP

One thing is not the other and Microsoft designs Windows with many roadblocks to stop us from moving programs from machine to machine or even across a parallel install.

So the answer is to use Explorer to copy the files over and to install programs as you need them.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Files = ABSOLUTELY! Programs = no.

Cheers. Well it looks as if I'll be stuck inside for the next week trying to install all that I can't move and trying to transfer my files. Does any body know how I remove the 'old' XP from my system and all the now useless programs (the ones I can't transfer) with it?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
After you get your files all safe, here's what I do.

In reply to: Thanks

1. I look at my BOOT.INI to find the old Windows home directory.

If it is seperate from my new install I can simply delete that directory.

2. Then I edit BOOT.INI and remove the old boot item.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.