Storage forum

General discussion

Transferring external HDs into enclosure

by wa_wa_washington / April 2, 2008 10:50 PM PDT

I have a Maxtor OneTouch III Turbo Edition 600 GB FireWire 400/800 and USB 2.0 Hard Drive, which you can see at this site: http://www.superwarehouse.com/Maxtor_OneTouch_III_Turbo_Edition_600_GB_FireWire_400_800_and_USB_2.0_Hard_Drive/G01Y006/ps/726077

I just ordered this enclosure: Galaxy METAL GEAR Metal Gear Box 3500SAP-SESIL Aluminum 3.5" Silver USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817716016

But I don't think they are compatible.
The connectors don't seem to match, and there are two hard drives in the Maxtor, so should I have bought two enclosures or one that fits both into it?

I tried to connect one of the hard drives into the Metal Gear Box, but the white plastic connector wasn't the same as the one to the Maxtor HD.

Can anyone advise me to a compatible enclosure or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring external HDs into enclosure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring external HDs into enclosure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IDE and you need SATA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2008 11:06 PM PDT

There are enclosures from that same company but for SATA hard disks.

Does this picture look like your drive cable and connections -> https://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/sata2.jpg
If so, you need to shop for the SATA drive housing.
Bob

Collapse -
Should I get 2?
by wa_wa_washington / April 3, 2008 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: IDE and you need SATA

Thanks for the advice.
The maxtor has 2 300 GB drives, so should I get 2 SATA enclosures?

Collapse -
Can you check this out?
by wa_wa_washington / April 3, 2008 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: IDE and you need SATA
Collapse -
Iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 3:18 AM PDT

That's not an USB 2.0 housing and would stress most owners to get it connected. Why not the usual USB 2.0 housings that support a sata drive?

Collapse -
Please help.
by wa_wa_washington / April 3, 2008 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Iffy.

Can you please find what you're talking about and send me a link?
I'm not understanding what you mean.

And what happened was that I put a power adapter that was too strong into the Maxtor external HD, so it didn't read on my computer anymore. The LED light kept flashing, but not steadily.

Thanks.

Collapse -
"a too strong power adapter"
by Kees Bakker / April 3, 2008 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Please help.

You mean: too high voltage, like 20 V in stead of 10? That might damage more than just the enclosure, but also the electronics of the disk itself.
No guarantees they work even in the right enclosure. In that case, all you can do with it is throw the disks away.

Kees

Collapse -
From newegg, an example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Please help.
Collapse -
I donṫ understand.
by ahtoi / April 3, 2008 2:25 AM PDT

The Maxtor case no longer work?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.