Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Transferring emails from Outlook Express to Mac Mail?

by ZekeEvans / July 17, 2007 5:50 AM PDT

Hi, my mom recently got a Mac, which I'm about to start setting up for her. She was previously using an XP PC, and her biggest concern in terms of switching is making sure that she still has all her old emails on the computer. Is there a nice, easy way to transfer all data from Outlook Express (including all old emails stored on the computer) to a Mac?

Broadening the scope a little more, is there anything I should know before I start backing up all of her files? Is there an easy way to go about moving everything from "My Documents" to the home folder on the Mac?

I will have both computers on a home network as I'm doing this to make sure everything I'm doing is working as I'm doing it.

-Kevin J

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring emails from Outlook Express to Mac Mail?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring emails from Outlook Express to Mac Mail?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check this site
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 9:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Outlook Express (OS9x) to Mail (OSX 10.5.4)
by ncmphoto43 / July 25, 2008 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Check this site

A friend needs to transfer her email and contact info from Outlook Express on OS9 on her elderly iMac (first generation FireWire) to a new iMac running OSX 10.5.4 and Apple Mail. How can this be achieved?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

cheers,

ncm

Collapse -
If the trial version of MS Office is on that machine
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 25, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

start the G3 in target mode and wait until the G3 mounts on the desktop.

Launch Entourage and when asked, direct it to import stuff from the G3.

Once all the data has been transferred, Entourage should contain all the contacts and email from the old machine.

You should then be able to:
1. Import the mail from Entourage by launching MAIL and choosing Entourage as the place from which to import
or
2. Export stuff from Entourage and then import it into MAIL

Good Luck

P

Collapse -
OUTLOOK EXPRESS TO MAC
by GABY SABORIO / December 31, 2008 9:13 PM PST

I have read in a lot of places in the web about the DBXCONV software that would allow me to move all my folders from my old PC to my Mac. However, everybody sends me to a page in german where I can't understand anything and where I can't find anywhere to download the zip file. Any help? Gaby

Collapse -
I looked at the first replay above and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: OUTLOOK EXPRESS TO MAC

The links did not take me to a German language page. Because of that I wonder if you tried the suggestions in this discussion or found this discussion and added your new question without checking out the above.

Unless you meant that the steps and sites didn't make sense to you and they may as well be in German.
Bob

Collapse -
When did your Google break?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: OUTLOOK EXPRESS TO MAC

If you enter DBXCONV into Google, you find this site as the TOP hit.

It is the English version of the instructions.
The page also contains the download links for the English language version.

I'm only telling you this because it's New Years Day and today, and only today, I'm a nice guy.

P

Collapse -
How to do this on a Mac and without access to a PC?
by robinwyatt / March 20, 2009 2:21 AM PDT

Hi folks,

Could anybody tell me how I can use DBXCONV to convert my Outlook Express mail files from dbx to mbox format... on my Mac (MacBook OS X 10.5.6), without access to the PC that they used to live on? I rescued them from my old hard drive after my old laptop died and do not have access to a PC. As far as I know, I can't use DOS on my Mac (or am I wrong about that?).

If not via DBXCONV, is there another way of doing this?

Thanks so much!

Collapse -
I hear that
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 4:29 AM PDT

the Thunderbird email client, from the Firefox group, can import OE files.
Once inside Thunderbird, they can be exported, or imported into MAIL.

Worth a look anyway. It's free

P

Collapse -
No joy
by robinwyatt / March 20, 2009 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I hear that

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I tried that and it didn't give me the option. Perhaps because it was Thunderbird for Mac, on which it is assumed one cannot have OE files!

Collapse -
Anyone else
by robinwyatt / March 24, 2009 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: No joy

Can anyone else help with this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?