Windows 7 forum

Question

Transferring email to Windows 7

by Learner7 / September 21, 2012 3:49 AM PDT

Computer Windows7 1T Hdd, 6GB Ram, Intel i5 chip
I have just changed over to Windows 7 and transferred Thunderbird profiles folder to the AppData\local\ but it does not open in Thunderbird, I have tried everything without success to get this to work.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring email to Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring email to Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try the old export and import? Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 3:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Tried Import
by Learner7 / September 21, 2012 6:47 AM PDT

I already have Thunderbird Profile folder backed up to a USB hard drive, and keep it backed up. I tried the Import option, but it only offers importing Eudora or Outlook. But even selecting one of these, it did nothing. I tried creating a new email address in the new Thunderbird programme, but it would not accept it, even though all the settings were correct. I have deleted everything (apart from my back up folder), so the computer is cleared of Thunderbird now. I did try earlier copying the Profile folder to the right location, and then installed Thunderbird, but that did not work either.

Collapse -
So MozBackup failed too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried Import

I wasn't clear about that.

Collapse -
Does anybody know the answer ?
by Learner7 / September 25, 2012 12:44 AM PDT

I am desperate, I have tried Mozilla help but they don't answer. My new computer says "Your Thunderbird profile cannot be loaded it may be missing or inaccessible"

The profiles folder IS loaded, I copied it into C:\Users\Faith\AppData\Local\Thunderbird , then restarted the computer, but it still comes up with the same message. I deleted the TBird program, rebooted the computer and reinstalled it, still the same message. I tried the Moz back up, and did a back up, but could not find the file or folder it produced anywhere on my computer. So I resorted to copying the Thunderbird folder containing the Profiles etc onto an external hard drive and dragged it across into the path above. Don't know what else I can do now, except look at my nice new computer and can't get my email onto it. The thunderbird program won't even open, it just comes up with the message above."Your Thunderbird profile cannot be loaded it may be missing or inaccessible"

Collapse -
Re: Thunderbird
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 12:59 AM PDT

Does it run without this error in a new Windows account (without transferring anything from your backup)? It should create a new profile then, if there is none. From that point on, try building it up.

Kees

Collapse -
With no transfer
by Learner7 / September 25, 2012 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thunderbird

I deleted the programme and the profile, reinstalled Thunderbird after rebooting the computer, but it still won't open.

Collapse -
(NT) That's not what I suggested.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: With no transfer
Collapse -
My last question was not about Mozilla help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 1:05 AM PDT

The fact you "copied it" is a clue. Not a good one but tells me you didn't try the Mozbackup and restore.

I see Kees has a good idea. Try that too.
Bob

Collapse -
Mozbackup
by Learner7 / September 25, 2012 2:09 AM PDT

I did a Moz backup, but if it make a backup folder or file, its not on the computer, I searched everything to try and find it.

Collapse -
I understand that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Mozbackup

Many folk have trouble finding their files. At least we know there is hope. That is, you have Kees idea and Mozbackup still.
Bob

Collapse -
Success
by Learner7 / September 27, 2012 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I understand that.

I started from scratch again, re-downloaded Mozbackup, did the backup and found the file. I don't think it could have worked the first time. Installed the mozbak thing on new computer and did a restore, and everything loaded, one or two of the folders are empty, but not important ones, so I shall have to make do with that. Thanks for all your help, I do struggle, I guess its my age, I was born well before WW2 began ! so started on computers a bit late in the day, but intend to persevere ! Thanks again for your patience and help.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Check this link
by krager83 / September 21, 2012 1:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thunderbird backup
by Learner7 / September 22, 2012 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Check this link

I followed the link, and read the posts, it seems most on there had trouble moving their Thunderbird Mail. I tried the back up, but can't find the back up file/folder, it gives no clue where its filed when it does the back up !!
One suggestion is to save the ________.slt file. I don't have any .slt files ! I do not want to go back to Outlook, I don't have all the options I have in Tbird, but it certainly is the most simple matter to transfer the mail folders.
So am still wondering how to get my mail into the new computer.

Collapse -
I printed out my address book from
by Darrell / September 26, 2012 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Thunderbird backup
Thunderbird. Also, check your email lists, I found that it had no reply setting. Copy and paste the email address into reply to space. Click on the email address and you will see what I mean. Darrell
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.