Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Transferring Digital Video

Hello All,
I have a Sony Mini DV camcorder and a Sony Laptop. I would like to transfer the digital video to my laptop so I can edit the video and burn it to DVD. I am hoping to avoid any loss in quality. I have used the application that comes with sony but it seems to lose quality. If there are any programs that would allow for transfering and editing without any loss please let me know.
Thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring Digital Video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring Digital Video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Transferring Digital Video

In reply to: Transferring Digital Video

I have used Movie Maker to capture, edit, and save in DV-AVI. I have also used Ulead Video Studio to capture, edit, and save in MPEG-2 (for DVD).

Then I have used Ulead DVD Movie Factory to create DVDs using the above DV or MPEG files. I am very satisfied with the results.

How about your bitrate setting? Are you perhaps stifling your quality by trying to put too much on one disk by squeezing down the bitrate? Just a thought....

Finally, even with digital, zero loss in quality is impossible. Whenever a file is transferred, edited or rendered something will be lost. The trick is to make the loss as unnoticeable as possible.

Collapse -
Re: Transferring Digital Video

In reply to: Transferring Digital Video

Before you beging transfering vid to computer do this...
Make sure you dma is on highest possible settings for the harddrive your using. device manager>Eide>dma/udma.
Before you start the stream from cam to puter, turn off any programs that arent essential at that time.
Including broadband, scanner, printer, anti virus, firwealls, messengers, anything you dont need right then.
This allows more resources for the transfer, hence less frames dropped, better master file to work with.

If you want the finished product to play in a stand alone dvd player, try to set booktype to dvd-rom, works best with dvd+r, may make more compatable with more players.

If your going to keep for computer viewing only, mpg2 at 12 kBits a sec is darn good. 8 kBits a sec is dvd rate.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.