HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Transferring data to new hard drive?

by goofy / October 12, 2004 10:26 PM PDT

My 60gig hard is dying in my iMac SE. I bought a new hard drive. Is there a way to transfer the data from the old hard drive to the new one? Is it possible to hook up two hard drives in an iMac?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring data to new hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring data to new hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Transferring data to new hard drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2004 10:57 PM PDT

Wouldn't you just restore from your last backup?

Hard disks and machines have a nasty habit of just vanishing so backup (and restore) is how I handle this.

best of luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Backups
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 16, 2005 1:06 AM PST

A very wise move, but you know as well as I do, that the word Backup is not in the average users vocabulary. If it is, it means to drive their vehicle in reverse.

Collapse -
Transferring data to new hard drive?
by zootman1955 / January 15, 2005 11:44 PM PST

You can do an image transfer by using Norton's Ghost version 9.0 or later. You will need (2) 2.5" laptop HD adapters so you can attach the 2.5" HD's to a PC. Attach the Source HD to the Primary IDE channel and the Destination HD to the Secondary IDE channel (IMPORTANT! The Destination HD must be of equal or greater capacity of the Source HD). Boot the PC using the Ghost CD or Floppy. Launch Ghost using the -ir switch. Make sure you are careful selecting the SOURCE and DESTINATION because you can completely wipe out the SOURCE HD if you go the wrong way.
Good Luck.

Collapse -
Wrong forum
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 16, 2005 12:52 AM PST

Not sure you are in the right forum. This guy has an iMac which does not have a floppy drive and Norton do not make a version of Ghost for the Mac.

Collapse -
Transfer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 16, 2005 1:03 AM PST

This subject was just recently covered. The only way you can connect two drives to an iMac is to use an external (USB/Firewire) drive. I believe the iMac DV SE came with two Firewire ports. With the new drive inside a Firewire enclosure, see OtherWorldComputing.com, AND if you are using OS 9.x.x, it is a simply matter to initialize the new drive and then drag the entire contents of the old drive, to the new one. However, if you are using OS X (any flavor), this cannot be done without the aid of a program called Carbon Copy Cloner. You make a clone of your old drive, on the new drive, and after you have removed the old drive from the iMac and installed the new one, it should all be just the same. You could leave the old drive in the iMac but if it is failing it may cause problems as it slides down the slippery slope to HD heaven.
Take no notice of Bob, he obviously hasn't had his coffee yet Happy

Good Luck

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.