General discussion

transferring data from old pc to new one

I just purchased a new computer. I am sort of illiterate in what to do next. I want to take everything off of my old computer and put it onto the new one. I have already removed the items I don't want to keep but have pictures, music, documents, etc that I want to keep. I also want to be able to leave some things on the old computer for my son to use. I am going to have XP on the new one and Windows 98SE on the old one so I want to leave that. My ? is how do I take the stuff from the old one to the new one, is that done by copying everything to CDR's and then downloading them into the new computer somehow? If so is there a place that will instruct me step by step how to do this? And, if I copy everything on my C drive, isn't that all I will need to put on the new computer or should something else also be copied and put on the new computer. It is a new Dell Dimension 4700 if that makes a difference. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Pam

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: transferring data from old pc to new one
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: transferring data from old pc to new one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Old to New
- Collapse -
Old to new

You can purchase Intellimover, which makes the whole process very simple.

- Collapse -
Old to New

Thank you so much for the link to the article. I have read this in full and understand it better. I believe I can tackle this now and get to using my new PC. I appreciate your help.

Pam

- Collapse -
Transferring data from old PC to a new PC.

Pam:

I too will soon be faced with that same dilemma; my 6 year old PC which is very old runs on WIN 95, is a P2 or a P3 and has a 4.0GB HD.

You mentioned you have a new Dell 4700. Is it a Dell 4700 or the mini-tower Dell 4700C? How long have you had it and how do you like it? Anything come up yet requiring you to contact Dell's tech support?

Big Steve
End Of Message
02/16/05

- Collapse -
transferring data from old pc to new one

Steve, I got the 4700 instead of the C model. I wanted the larger one because that's what I am used to and they could do it faster because on the smaller one evidently everything had to be redone and would take longer to make. This is my second Dell. The original one I am using now is over 5 years old and never been serviced. I have a brother in law that owns an insurance company and says he never has any problems with his Dell's (has 20 of them) but the 5 that are other brands give him trouble all of the time. I chose another Dell since I love their products and service. They helped me with info that was stupid all through the warranty time and even after the tech support was supposed to be over for me. Anyway, it is still in the boxes in the hall and I haven't done the transfer work, but the info that I received from these very gracious people will help me do it the right way. Incidentally, I ordered the Dell at 8:30 on Wednesday night and it was delivered to my door in complete with EXACTLY what I wanted on Friday at noon. And that was with extra features added to my order and alot of changes made. Can you believe that service????

Thanks, Pam

CNET Forums

Forum Info