PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Transferring a hard drive

by krazykat_308 / September 24, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

Hi,

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about computers. I hope that I have enough information to include here so that I can at least determine if I want to undertake this task.

My computer is relatively outdated; I'd say that it's at least five years old. It is a Gateway desktop, although I don't know what model and for some reason when I attempted to get the information from Gateway they had no record of me or my machine on their site.

Anyhow, here is what I do know. The processor is a Pentium 4, 1.80GHz. I have 768MB of RAM, a 60GB internal hard drive and an 80GB external hard drive. I'm running Windows WP Home Edition with Service Pack 2.

I have an old dinosaur of a machine, a Toshiba, the model may be PC100, but I'm not sure. It has 64 MB RAM, a 6GB (yes, only 6) hard drive, and a Celeron 366 MHz processor.

The other day I turned on the power strip that the Toshiba is plugged into and sparks shot out of the back of the Toshiba where the cord plugs in. I killed the power and removed the cord and that was that. Getting the machine serviced isn't even a consideration. However, there may still be some stuff on that hard drive, if it didn't get fried as well, that I would like to retrieve.

What I'm wondering is if I would be able to remove the hard drive from the Toshiba and hook it up, even if only temporarily, to my Gateway so that I could transfer any data from the Toshiba drive onto the Gateway? If so, how difficult is it likely to be and where might I get the information to guide me through it.

If there is anything more about either machine that would be helpful, let me know and if I can get it for you I will.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transferring a hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transferring a hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be simple enough if the drive wasn't damaged
by Steven Haninger / September 24, 2007 9:19 PM PDT

Remove the drive and its 40 pin IDE cable. Open your computer you want to plug it in to. Check for an available motherboard IDE slot that will accept the hard drives cable as well as an unused 4 pin power connector. If both IDE slots are in use, you might find one connected to a CD ROM or other such device. Remove that cable connector from the motherboard and put the old hard drive's cable in its place. Connect power and start the machine. If you BIOS is set to auto detect and configure such devices, it should do so and Windows should find and configure the new hardware. It will give it a drive letter and you should, in most cases, be able to read it. There are some scenarios where this might not work. One would be jumper settings on the old drive if it was in a master/slave relationship with another drive. Another would be an overlay on the old drive that was sometimes used as a workaround for some DOS disk size limitations. Try this and see what happens. Post back if it doesn't work.

Collapse -
Re: Should be simple enough...
by krazykat_308 / September 24, 2007 10:47 PM PDT

Thanks for the information and instructions. I'll give it a shot and hopefully it will work; although that isn't typically how things go for me.

As far as the scenarios you mentioned in which it might not work, the master/slave relationship shouldn't be a problem, at least I wouldn't think so, as that was the only hard drive on that machine.

Anyhow, thanks again. I'm not exactly sure when I am going to attempt this but I'll let you know how it goes once I do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.