Desktops forum

General discussion

Transfering Info from 2 IDE drives to 1 SATA drive

by moveandstore / August 15, 2007 4:46 PM PDT

I was checking out the thread from "SATA and IDE Drives in Harmony", and I need a bit of clarification and help.

I'm building a new system (going from a older P4 to the new Athlon X2 64). I have a brand new Western Digital Caviar 320 Gig SATA drive which I will be installing in my system. Anyway I have two IDE drives (both Maxtor) a 200 gig (which the operating systems is on) and a 80 gig which is the slave drive) from the older system. The drives are partitioned off into three drive letters: C @ 98.4 GB; D @ 75.8 GB; and E @ 98.4 GB. (I used Partition Magic V.8.05 for the format of the 2 drives) I will install a fresh copy of Windows on the SATA drive for a clean install. All I want to do is to pull off my information like music and videos, and etc from the two IDE drives, instead of trying to copy and burn everything on discs. I won't be using these drives afterwards. (I'll probably get another SATA drive in the near future. I will probably want to format the Western Digital drive into 3 sectors of about 100 GB apiece. I will probably use the Windows utility on setup to partition the new drive. I picked that number because I think that I will lose some space due to the formatting and the Windows install. The motherboard I have is the ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard This board has 2 IDE Connectors and 4 SATA connectors. I have a 500 watt PSU with 2 Sony burners (1 Dual layer DVD drive) on the other IDE channel

What is the best way of doing all of this, so I won't have any hassle and conflicts between the SATA and IDE drives. and how do I transfer all of the stuff off the two drives onto the SATA drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfering Info from 2 IDE drives to 1 SATA drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfering Info from 2 IDE drives to 1 SATA drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How I did this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2007 4:54 PM PDT

Since all I needed were the files, I put the drive into an USB 2.0 drive housing and then copied what I needed over from the external to the internal.

Bob

Collapse -
re:How I did this
by moveandstore / August 16, 2007 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: How I did this.

I need a drive housing? How do I go about setting that up? I don't have an external drive. Please explain further....

Thanks

Collapse -
Words for your research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2007 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: re:How I did this

At google.com type USB 2.0 HARD DISK ENCLOSURE

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Transfering Info from 2 IDE drives to 1 SATA drive
by moveandstore / August 16, 2007 8:49 AM PDT

Is there any other way to do this besides buying a (2) hard drive enclosures (I've two drives partitioned into 3 sections? Or does that makes a difference?

Collapse -
Why 2 cases?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2007 9:25 AM PDT

I only needed one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.