Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Transfering files (music photos etc) ME to vista

by duckman / October 15, 2007 3:15 AM PDT

Any special instructions? When using the transfer cable, it says ME needs to be upgraded to XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfering files (music photos etc) ME to vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfering files (music photos etc) ME to vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: transferring files
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2007 3:18 AM PDT

What transfer cable?
What software?
What it "it" in "it says"?
What exactly does "it" say and when?

As an alternative, could you use a USB-stick (or is it too much data) or an external hard disk (or don't you have one with ME-drivers)?
As an alternative, could you just copy the files from your backup (whatever it is)?

Kees

Collapse -
here
by duckman / October 15, 2007 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: transferring files
Collapse -
If your colleague had read the site ...
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2007 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: here

he'd had read "This solution is supported on Windows XP-based and Windows Vista-based computers."

Time for plan B, I'd say, if plan A doesn't work (by design). Please remember that Windows 98 and ME are no longer supported by Microsoft.

Kees

Collapse -
That's what I am trying to find out
by duckman / October 15, 2007 3:28 AM PDT

Is it just plain NOT possible to transfer ME to Vista?

Collapse -
Of course it is ...
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2007 5:52 AM PDT

possible to transfer data from the current ME computer to the new
Vista computer. It depends on the volume what the most practical way is. A list to choose from:
- diskette
- zip-drive or jazz-drive
- burn to CD
- burn to DVD
- USB-stick
- external hard disk
- home or office network
- direct cable connection (the classical parallel port one)
- direct cable connection (USB)
- direct cable connection (Ethernet)
- mount the old hard disk as slave in the new machine
- zip and mail
- transfer to and from home page with your ISP
- rent storage space on Internet
- remote backup services (more or less the same as the previous one)

So I'd say it is VERY possible. About the only way that doesn't work is to use an application program like the one you linked to that doesn't suppport ME. And even that requires a physical connection or medium to actually transfer the data.

In fact, all of these methods in principle can be useful as a backup also. People who don't backup apparently don't mind if they lose their data. So I wonder why your colleague suddenly minds. After all, he's had the risk to lose it for some 6 years already, so he can't really be surprised it finally happens now.

Kees

Collapse -
That's what confused me too
by duckman / October 15, 2007 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Of course it is ...

I didn't know why he didn't just burn cd/dvds, but that is what he is going to try. He confused me by saying something on the line of the files weren't accepted by Vista.

Collapse -
Like in these forums ...
by Kees Bakker / October 17, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

it really helps to know the exact error to be able to give effective help. Just some layman description like "can't copy" or "won't allow" simply isn't good enough.

Kees

Collapse -
It gets worse.
by duckman / October 17, 2007 9:53 PM PDT

Instead of making CD's to transfer, he is going to spend 150 to buy XP upgrade. This will get uglier !!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?