Computer Help forum

General discussion

transfering files from exturnal hard drive to new computer

Greetings,
My daughters gateway laptop died,I took the hard drive out and put it into a 2.5,usb exturnal hard drive.The old computer had Windows XP,the new computer has Vista.The exturnal hd has music,(I Tunes),Photo's, and Doc's.My question is, once I have the ext.hd identified on the new computer,what do I actully have to do to find the stuff I want to transfer? I have never done this before, and just need a little guidance...All help is appreciated.W

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: transfering files from exturnal hard drive to new computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: transfering files from exturnal hard drive to new computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: transferring files

In reply to: transfering files from exturnal hard drive to new computer

If the drive has got a drive letter in (My Computer or) Windows Explorer, say it becomes f:, open f: by clicking it and copy the files around as you wish, just like you would on the normal hard disk.

You might need to take ownership of the folders and files on the hard disk first. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html tells how to do it in Vista (that's quite different from the way it's in XP).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
transferring files

In reply to: Re: transferring files

Thanks for the reply, I read the artical on taking ownership,which I will learn more about once I get uset to Vista,,It is a lot different than XP. My main concern is will Vista let me transfer from an XP O/S on the ext.hd to the Vista O/S? without any problem? I am sure I will have to download the I Tunes program onto the Vista machine before transferring the music from the ext.hd..Photo's and school papers(doc) shouldn't be that difficule either. It's the music files My daughter really needs the most, and Dad does not want to screw that up..if you know what I mean.. W

Collapse -
iTunes transfer. . .

In reply to: transferring files

I found an easy way to do this and have done it on four PCs.

On the old drive, open Explorer and go to the My Documents folder. In the My Music folder will be an iTunes folder. That folder contains everything needed to make iTunes work. You will need to move that entire folder to the same location on the Vista machine. This is where iTunes looks for it. After the folder is moved install iTunes. iTunes will find it there and that's it.

I recommend copying the folder rather than moving just in case something doesn't work. But like I said, I've done this on four machines without a glitch.

Wayne (IBM freak - 6)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Collapse -
If dad screws it up ...

In reply to: transferring files

all he has to do is to pay for a re-download :-). But I'm sure it won't be necessary if you follow Coryphaeus hints.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.